Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual tool change info

Default Manual tool change info

Ok guys, I am getting some trust for this program and want to get a maual tool change to happen.

I put tool 11 for outline and rout/dado. .25 MC bit

I entered tool 12 for drilling (down spiral .25)

Both of these are the same diameter, but different purposes.

I ran the file with shopbots MTC file and it never stopped or ask me which bit I had in there.

Do ya'll think I have the tooling set up wrong, or is it time to try the MTC file that was sent to me?

Thanks

Kenneth

Set all your router/spindle tool numbers starting at 11. Your drill is going to start at tool number 31.

Don

I checked with scott at thermwood and based on what I sent him it is calling for a tool change, but the MTC file is not working.

I tried Ryans advice from shopbot and now it won't even function at all, much less do a tool change.

Gary, what do you charge to fix this mess? I have a pile of plywood to cut and a dead machine.

Oh and Don, I don't have a drill. Just trying to change bits in the router. Are you saying I have to call the drill bit 31 even if it's in the router?

Kenneth

Dove through the spoil board now.

I think Zeroing to the bed will give better parts, but Ryan has the bot files with the link zeroing to the top of the material.

I found this out the hard way.

Is everyone zeroing to the top of the material?

Kenneth

I am setup to zero to the bed.

The Link generates a variable called &offset that is your corrected material thickness and offsets your zero higher by that amount.

Your files need to be setup so this works correctly or you will be cutting air.

Don't know about zeroing after changing the tool.

I had a heck of a time getting this to work right last April when the Link was released in Beta. Found out the offset command in the control software was not working.

Anyway, is Ryan the only one at ShopBot familiar with setting up the Link?

I was cutting the opposite of air. lol

They always pass the phone to him when its a link question or issue.

I don't use the MTC file that came with the control machine. I use one I got from Gary Campbell and modified to work with my machine. I I have not had problems with my tool change file.

As far as zeroing goes, I first zero to the table top prior to launching the SBLink cutting file. With the first call to a tool change, all zeroing is done to the material surface from that point on. My MTC file takes into account the material thickness when rezeroing to the top of the material. I have no idea if the Shopbot supplied MTC file takes this into account or not.

The downside to having to do tool changes (I'm stuck with it for now) is that when you zero from the material surface, you can throw off cut depths because where you zero, the material might be thinner or thicker then the material thickness you entered into eCabs to create the TWD file. I've tried to limit my tool changes by how I build my cabinets in eCab. This has helped my cutting accuracy and dado fits tremendously.

Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com

Kenneth,

In regards to tool numbers, since you don't have a drill you don't need to start your drill numbers with 31. This was for an air drill setup.

Just make sure that when you create your "drill" bit tool you choose the appropriate checkboxes to mark it as a drill bit and not a router bit. This will make sure the SBLink treats it as a drill and not a router/dado bit.

When SBLink calculates its tool paths it will go through your list of tools (tagged properly) and find the smallest one that will complete the job. That's why it's important to have your largest tools listed first and subsequently smaller tools further down the list.

Don

Thanks guys. I was thinking that zeroing to the top of the material would defeat the purpose of acurate parts.

I guess its back to garys files and stay away from bit chages for now.

Ryan actually did get me running on his 'bot files, but I know my parts will come out better if I zero to the bed. Live and learn.

Kenneth