Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router bits

paulmagras@caribsurf.com Guest

Default Router bits

can anyone tell what company make the best quality router bits to be used CNC machines i am thinking of making gingerbread for buildings so i need bits that will stand up to 8-12 hours continuous use [ using a shopbot]

For the Americas, Onsrud is probably a good starting point for a search.

tom@allexsign.com Guest

ok, the Onsrud are quite excellent bits, but please take a look at the BELIN spiral "o", they have a mirror polish and are about $22.50 ea. Solid carbide, upcut, yes upcut that leaves a glass edge in most materials. We started using them in august of 2000 and thats all we have gone with ever since. they are razor sharp, quiet, and cut like a dream. the longest I have used one of these bits at one time was approx. 10.5 hours. Depending on the material you are cutting, you will get thousands of inches before you will need to buy a new one. I dont have the direct phone number, but go to multicam.com to get the dealer closet to you. By the way, we have used the onsruds and compare very well to the spiral "o", but because of the polish on the spiral "o", ejection is better. Also, one last piece of info, the belin spiral "o" is made overseas, in france, if they were manufactured here in the us, they would have a price tag of about $80.00, thats how well they are made. Just passing through for updated and saw this article, thought this would help.

Thank You,

Tom Byron
    Unit Production Manager,
    ABC Pet Products Intl. Consumer Products Division.

Hi Tom, We use Belin because France is nearer to us (and I go there sometimes). I only suggested Onsrud as a starting point because they seemed bigger in the US.

By the way, France being a metric country, the Belin metric sizes are less expensive than the inch sizes.

edrawe Guest

I am just now recieving my shopbot can someone tell me which bits I should get first. I plan on making house signs and also will need to cut out parts for various projects.
    Thanks in advance

Just a very rough idea:

60 degree V-cutter

1/2" straight (square-nose) cutter

1" straight (square-nose) cutter for surfacing table and other odd jobs

1/4" straight cutter if it will fit your router

jrw00d2@aol.com Guest

I am carving photographs on my Bot and I am looking for a sign/engraving bit but with a very sharp angle, the only ones I have been able to find so far are 60 deg that taper to 0. any ideas?

Jeff Guinn Guest

Jay,
    Eagle America ( 1-800-872-2511/ http://www.eagle-america.com/ ) sells a 45 degree bit , part # 132-1022.

david@thecarpentershelper.com Guest

Jay,
    Try multicam.com they not only sell software and machines they have some really good 1/4 inch bottom feed engraving bits down to .030 with a very steep angle they are called bottom feed because in ingraving machines you either load bits from the top of your machine or the bottom. David in Wyoming

Hey Paul M./Gerald D./Tom B:
    Heard an interesting bit of info at the Jamboree, the manufacturers of the Belin bit are the parent company of Onsurud. I too have used and am very pleased with the quality and performance of the Belin bits. However, I purchased some Onsrud bits at the Jamboree, can't wait to give them a try.
    Just thot' you would like to "hear what I heard".
    Doug in Oklahoma