Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router bits

Hi Doug,

That is interesting, but I wouldn't know what the significance of the connection is?

We buy our Belin bits directly from a company called Belin in France. This is their (slow?) website.

debekker Guest

heres a different question.. What is the advantage of using a ball nose bit to do 3d work.
    Ive been playing alot with some different ball nose bits and not to happy with the results. I get to many valleys with it cause it dosen't overlap like the end mill. Could someone enlighten me if I'm doing something wrong. I understand the geometry of the bit I can see why its doing it. I just read somewhere its better to use ballnose instead of a endmill.
    Thanks in advance

gordon@shopbottools.com Guest

There is an advantage to using a ball end mill for 3D work. They produce smoother surfaces than a regular end mill, give more detail on most parts, and don't leave swirl marks on flat or sloped surfaces. The disadvantage are that they produce ridges (scallop) and won't make sharp inside corners.

Another bit that we've been cutting 3D work with in our shop is being done with tapered ball end mills that have a 1/16" radius ball end and a 0.5-1 degree taper. You can get these from us or SGS makes them. The advantages to this type of bit is that it is small, but usually has a much longer and stronger cutter than your typical 1/8" bit, and will leave more detail. The disadvantage is that you can't cut a truely vertical surface, but in most 3D work there usually are many instances that this occurs.

The best way to minimize scallop is the make the step-over of the bit smaller, creating more passe across the piece. Though you have to watch how small you make this can add considerably to the cutting time in some cases.