Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BrainStorming Help !!

Default BrainStorming Help !!

OK so I have the 12" Z and not always needing the 12".

I was contemplating a table with automated adjustable height, like the table in my laser that goes up and down with the push of a button.

With that in mind.
    Should I make some sort of Ball screw lift or maybe a hydralic lift? Rak and Pinion type lift?

And how would I connect it to be controled through the outputs in the SB control box?

Gary C. ??? I know you have the answer....LOL Help trick my Bot !

Angus: I would probably use a ball screw. One motor and chain. Dozens of power plane makers can't all be wrong!!

Angus...
    First, descide what will hold you back, your imagination or checkbook!

Dave is right, ball screws and chain are the way to go. 6 or 8 with an alpha stepper controlling them for adjustable height.

Remove table boards, reinforce cross braces and make assemblies to hold ball screws and motor.

2" aluminum square tube movable table frame with lightweight fiberglass composite for bottom. If you pay attention to your design, it will be vac plenum also with Trupan top over aluminum defined zones.

Next time be careful who you ask!

Gary

How about using the lifts that are used for adjustable counter height for handicapped people?

RB

You'd save yourself a lot of agg if you just build a 5 or 6" torsion box & attach it to the table.

-B

Thats what I keep coming back to Brady. I can't seem to figure a way t o prevent all the flex I would have if I did a Adjustable table.

This isn't a real need just an idea I've been playing with in my head. The new Z axis holds really well @ 10" of Z cutting 400 ipm. No chatter or anything.

And Gary I ask you because when it comes to trick'in out a Bot you got the answers.

Pat "Frank" on the head for me this AM

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Brady, Can you please explain what a "torsion" box is. I am interested in a table so my 12" x-axis may be a little more accurate. I have addressed this issue a few posts ago. Thanks!

I would go with torsion box as well. $100 in material and just set it aside when not using it.

DIY_14350_26946%2C00.html,http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,,DIY_14350_26946,00.html

Don't know if I copied the link correctly, but you can paste on the browser begining from the http:// ...

Hope it helps

A torsion box has a grid of strips at right angles to each other and then glue a sheet of plywood to each side
    I would use 3/4 plywood for the strips. Just rip them to the thickness of your box minus the skin thickness the skins do not need to be very thick
    you could use 1/4 inch on the bottom. the strips do not need to be half laped at the intersections.
    just make one direction full length and cut the others to fit in between
    Hope this helps