Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not quite a cabinet!

Default Not quite a cabinet!

It's not quite a cabinet or a 3d carving but it was done on a Bot and that's what's important!
    This is the first of a whole series of structures done in 1/8th scale for a miniature outdoor railroad. It measures 43 x 35 x 24h. Bot time a little over 2 hours, 2 days painting parts, and 1 day assembly. Used to take about a month to do one of these critters! Next up a passenger station. I love my Bot and Aspire, what a combo! Russ
    40955.jpg

That is very cool, but what gauge train do you make this size house for? Will this be placed outside? What material is this made from? Were these individual pieces you made or a wall section made with components in it? I'd love to see the whole setup when its done.

The track gauge is 7 1/2 inches, 1/8th fullsize.

The siding was done with a 1/8th ballnose, the door frames and the window frames are inset with a 1/4 in end mill, also the windows prior to cutout are inset with end mill. I used tabs on all cutouts and everything worked just like the preview in Aspire showed it. The inset areas were filled with cutstock I did on my band saw. Some 3/4 sq stock and the rest was 1/2 sq stock. I also glued some 1/8th plexi behind the window openings. I've built these in the past and they took a real long time as everything had to be hand cut and assembled. Not it's just a matter of routing out. Oops almost forgot the rest of your question, the stock is 1/2 in marine grade plywood, finished 1 side. Everything gets 2 coats of outdoor sealer/primer and then 2 coats of outdoor paint. The roofing is just regular roofing. The railroad that these are for can be found at:
    www.trainmountain.org The worlds biggest outdoor hobby railroad, 31 miles of track and counting!
    Russ

40975.jpg

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Russ it is a small world I control a portion of the power grid for the Chiloquin area. That is my regular job. Marine parts is my side business that I use my SB for.

I was looking at your web site and I thought that is interesting I wonder where they are from.

Mike

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Thats cool, Please post after they set it in location. Are you building small towns too?

Awesome stuff, Russ. Thanks for posting!

-B

Wow... more photos when it gets installed please! You should make dog houses that look like that too, someone would buy it.

/RB

My original business (side business that is) was building custom model railroads for folks. I have built over 80 different railroads over the years. Now I'm into outdoor (live steam or rideable) trains. My love affair with ShopBot has always been to do these kinds of structures. Next up is a single story station with freight house (should be done by tomorrow afternoon). Yes there will be many towns and villages. Also many industrial sites for the freight traffic to switch into and out of. The railroad currently has 15 actual miles of mainline and another 15 miles of yards, sidings, and industrial tracks. Very few buildings though! The major projects right now are that in the next 5 to 6 years we are going to double the mileage of the mainline. That's 30 miles of mainline, not scale miles, but real miles. The property is 2800 acres big, so we have the room. With what's installed right now I'm only 23 stations short!
    Russ

OMG

Incredible
    i would love to see the whole project