Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back with more troubles

Hey Erik.. I'll try the cable.. Do you mean try a diff PC router or another computer? I don't have another router, but i'll try a different computer.. I have it on a laptop. I'll try another one. I appreciate you trying to help..

Jeff i'm grasping here but if it runs in Y in the air while running a file but not when in the material maybe something is wrong with the driver motor and when there is resistance to its movements when in the wood it is maybe a bad driver motor?

You say it will cut ok when you drive it manually? Are you driving it faster or slower then what the file calls for it to run at?

Try to run it manually at the same speed the file calls for it to run, to see if there is an issue there.

When you say "it bogs down" do you mean the router or the carriage?

Try removing your bit from the router and running the file with an "air cut" and try to put resistance by lightly holding the router to see if it bogs down that way.

Thanks Jack.. the speeds are the same.. I tried a new serial cable... the IO Gear SB recommends.. still didn't work.. It doesn't really bog down.. i thought it did.. just seems like it cause the bit wont' go thru the material. I'll try to air cut with resistance..
    When you say driver motor, are you meaning the actual motor, or the drivers in the control board? sorry for my ignorance..If this is the problem, will the upgrade correct this? Ugh.. I so appreciate you guys being patient with me.. I've been registered a month and have posted almost 40 times.... only with my problems... thanks Jack and everyone for your help

Jeff

Ok Jack.. I did the air cut and with a very slight resistance in Y, it stops like it does while cutting material.. did ok in X direction, but stops in Y.. even while jogging..
    does this sound like the driver motor? if so, again, is that the motor or actual drivers in the control board.. and will the upgrade correct this? or will I need a new motor?

Jeff, have you checked to make sure the pinion is tight on the motor shaft and in good condition? Enough tension on the motor spring? If the pinion is OK you can swap the motor with one from the X axis and see if that changes anything.

Hey Jim.. seems like the pinion is tight with enough tension. I switched the Y cable with one of the x cables.. so one of the X cables controlling the Y motor.. with a little resistance, it still stopped..The Y cable controlling one of the X motors seemed to do fine running that motor. So does that mean a bad motor? If so, what am I looking at in cost here? could some of the drivers be bad making it go so slow (1 ips)? It wont go over 1 ips either way...I'm thinkin that i should have just gotten a new machine.. after all the costs that I'm gonna have to put into this. Hindsight is 20/20! Any other advice?

By switching the cables from X to Y it seems to eliminate the cable or communication errors. It sounds to me like you have a bad stepper (driver) motor.
    It sounds like it is the motor and not the controller in the box. It could be something loose inside the stepper motor but i wouldn't know how to figure that out and you'd be better off talking to the experts on that.

I don't think this is such an expensive fix. One thing to find out to help make a diagnosis is to know if this unit was used in a production capacity because it might just be "plum wore out" and just need a replacement.

I don't know what control board you have, but the PRT control board I had before my 4G upgrade had an extra stepper driver on it (for an indexer or future use), if you have that also you can simply change your y motor to that one.

of course, if you have the means to upgrade to the 4G, I would highly recommend it...

Next step is to swap the Y motor with one of the X motors. If the problem moves with the motor then the motor is bad. If the problem stays the same then it would be the driver.

Be careful if you do this though, maybe leave the X motors disengaged until/unless you know they are both turning in the proper direction.

Ok... down to thinkin it's the driver.. I switched motors with the x and the problem stayed on Y.. so, calling shopbot... no more 4G board.. I called expecting to choke out $1700... but now the new upgrade is $2700!! Yep.. have to rethink.. Anyone need to get rid of their 4G to upgrade??? I'll buy it!