Thread: Db Levels while cutting

Default Db Levels while cutting

I was wondering if anyone has ever measured the db levels of a bot cutting something like 3/4 melamine.

Looks like I'm moving to a new shop and am working on noise control in the design.

One of my biggest sources of noise is the cutting sound of the bot. I am using a 3/8 compression spiral to cut 3/4 Melamine.
    4hp Spindle 7ips 12k rmp.

I have plans for the DH, Compressor, Becker pump
    (on its way, cant wait!) and Edgebander.

Looks like I will have to live with the cutting sounds of the bot.

Has anyone measured the level of a similar cut?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,
    I'm sure that any "results" are going to be the result of the material you are cutting at that time.
    While I think everyone understands the fact that it is not the Shopbot which is generating the noise, but the flutes of router bit as it tears ( crushes, hammers, etc. depending on sharpness) the material(s).
    A simple test of this is to make two cuts; using the same bit cut ANY simple geometric shape out of standard MDF, and then run the same file in Trupan. You'll hear/see a major difference.
    One factor you CAN use here is a bit of "industrial white noise". The sounds of the dust collector, and vacuum pump ( the Becker is going to be great for this as it's sound is a lot more tolerable than that of many others...) will help to "mask" the cutting sounds.
    There are also "sweet spots"in terms of cutting speeds, etc. as well. This is a matter of multiple trials.
    Melamine WILL be louder than many materials, no doubt. But with everything else going on it's not going to be as obnoxious as it might be if you were just cutting it with screws and NO dust collection...

Are you using a spindle or a router?

RB

"4hp Spindle 7ips 12k rmp."....

I am using a spindle and cutting 3/4 Melamine.

The real reason behind my post was to see if I can lower the noise levels so ear protection was not required for an 8hr day. Below 85db.

I can work with the rest but dont know of any way to reduce the cutting noise of the bit cutting the wood. If I cant reduce that to a safe level I will not spend time and money to reduce the other. Just ware ear protection.

Bob

Insulate the dust foot, and build an enclosure around the Z like some of the bigger machines have?

RB

I built a room for my shopbot and used 1/2" 440 Sound Barrier It cut the sound of the machine by probably 65%. I used it on sliding doors also...so that I could get materials in and out. Only regret is that I wish I had known about the 3/4" sheets. Another good idea would have been to use the 440 on both sides of the walls...I only put it on one side. I also did the ceiling, our machine is in our basement. I also put in a plexi window so that I can watch the machine at all times.

Don't know if this is a viable option for you and your shop...but just in case I thought I would pass it along. They have a good retail locater here... retail locater

Highly recommended to significantly kill the sound of a noisy machine.