Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Question?

Default Training Question?

I have a used PRT Alpha that I've had set up for about a month now and have not done anything with. Time is the biggest issue, but also I'm just not sure where to start. I have turned the machine on and moved it around, but haven't cut anything yet. 95% of my business is cabinets, but I bought it with the idea to get into signs at some point. Parts Wizard is my main concern. Is the training DVD going to help me, or do I just need to start cutting things to understand? I am in Ann Arbor, MI and have posted, looking for someone local, but nothing. I know my way around computers. I don't think I need alot of training, maybe just a kick in the butt to get me started. I'm dying to us this thing. Any suggestions?

You might try contacting Bob Standard xbobstand@myrural.comx
    (remove the x's) He is in Three Rivers.

Some do well with training videos and the like. I don't. Unless I have a useful goal, I can't get motivated. If Your head works like mine, start with a very simple sign. Maybe just a V carve in allowed font house number sign. Once that works, try another project with more detail and complexity. When posible add something new, and you will quickly gain some basic skills.

After a few months of that, there will be a lot of things you can do easily. And no matter how good you get, there will always be challenges.

Jim Frost

Terry, Welcome to the ShopBot Forum, This is probably one of the best sources for information. By all means veiw the videos they will get you going. Brady did a great job producing them.

Get a sheet or two of pink or blue insulating foam at your local big box building supply center. Its cheap and easy to cut. Stick it to your table with double sided carpet tape. I cut up several sheets of the stuff when I first started. A great practice medium.

You have mail

If you want, I could make you a couple files in parts wizard and send you, for you to open up and look at various settings and such, then cut and you can see what makes it do what. I find that teaches me more than anything else. Email me if you want me to help.

CUT, then go CUT. When you are done Cut some more.

After that ask some questions, then cut.
    Ask more questions then cut, cut, cut.

ETC
    Well thats what I do anyways =)

Getting a program like Vectric's V-carve Pro helped me tons. You can create tons of stuff with it and you should be able to cover the cost of it after a couple of projects.

Terry,
    Watch the PW video that came with the tool. It was designed for your exact situation in mind. What do you have to lose?

-B

Tempo Carpentry & Design, INC, San Juan Capistrano California

Terry,
    Watch the PW video over and over, bit by bit. It has all the basics you need to get you started.
    Also go visit anyone close running a SB to see it and get a sence of how they work.

Gabriel