Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help evaluating a possible Bot purchase

Default Help evaluating a possible Bot purchase

Hello folks,

I'm a new member considering the purchase of a used Shopbot. The owner has very little information on the machine; I believe it is an early PRT.

He acquired it used for his business, but then found someone with a laser cutter that could do the work more cost effectively, so he never did anything more than fiddle with it.

He says he can't demo because the computer isn't working. I want to propose that I provide a computer for a test drive, but I know nothing about the machine and wouldn't know where to begin.

I know I can download the control software here. But once I get the computer hooked up what should I do to check that everything's working? Or is this too complex a request?

All help is appreciated.

Regards,
    Mike

Mike,

Where (town/state) is the machine located? You might be able to get someone to check it out with you.

depending on how old it is it should plug right into your usb port on your computer.

Download the control software, plug it in but you need to FIRST turn the machine on THEN start up the software. In that order.

I suspect it is pre-USB, but I didn't examine the computer connections very closely.

Is there a way to determine the machine's vintage? I suspect it's about 10 years old. The copyright date in the manual is 1999-2000.

Also, is there a way to determine whether the board has been upgraded to 4G? It looks like someone's been messing with the box; it has no back cover, just clear packing tape to keep the dust out.

As far as location, no offense, but I don't want to give out too much information lest it be snatched out from under me while I dither about.

It most likely uses a serial connection. The back of the older control boxes were wide open (just a computer case). I don't know the motor numbers, but look to see if they are the direct drive ones. My 2000 PRT was direct drive and I later switched to 3.6:1 gear box motors because of the poor cut quality with them.

Mike, the 4G upgrade should look like this. The black drivers are Geckodrive stepper drivers (manufacturer).

http://www.shopbottools.com/PRT_4g_Upgrade.htm

http://www.geckodrive.com/products.aspx?n=540837

Here's a couple of pictures. It looks like the motors are geared? (If you can't read the label, the model number is Vexta PK296A1A-SG3.6) Is the bottom photo a vacuum pump or dust collector?

Any guesses on how much this machine is worth?

46255.jpg

46256.jpg

46257.jpg

Also, the connector between the computer and the controller is a serial connection. After looking at Mike Kelly's links, I assume that rules out the 4G board since that has a USB connection?

Sorry for all the newb questions, and thanks for the help.

The bottom pict is a vac pump. Looks to me like a prt of around 2000 vintage with a steel table built from the plans. The motors are geared.

Hi again folks,

So I went back out there this morning and hooked up my own computer.

I didn't try to cut anything, because I don't know what I'm doing. But I was able to get the Bot to move in all three axes as well as doing a couple of circles.

When doing the circles, it made a noise that was different then when it was moving in only one axis. Not alarming, just different. Is that normal?

Also, now that I know the controller, motors and router work, are there any other pitfalls I haven't addressed? Or am I safe in assuming this is a working machine?

Thanks again,
    Mike