Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help evaluating a possible Bot purchase

did you use usb or serial to connect? what version of the SB software did you use?

It's a serial connection, and I used version 2.39.

Mike,

That machine will have many hours of practical use still in it! But, what is it worth - and what is it worth to you is getting personal.

It can be upgraded to "4G" for "$X". But, do you need the speed and power?

Most CNC machines will 'sing a song' when cutting. The noises you are hearing are probably normal and most likely it is a working machine.

I'll guarantee you will learn a lot if you buy the machine. You will possibly learn more than by buying a new machine. ShopBot support is great even on 'old iron' and it takes a good while before most are up to speed with any machine.

Good Luck,

Ron

Ron is right about the learning. I bought an old PR and ran it for 6 months then upgraded to the 4g that made it like a totally new machine for me. I still own that unit and use it but I bought a newer PRS and I am happy with it. I tried cutting the lithophane on each and found the PRS just a little faster but not any better than the PR.

Shopbot sells a variety of controller options for those who want/need to upgrade the electronics. You can select a single card that you install in a controller board of your own manufacture or you could go all the way and buy an Alpha controller. In between those two options are several other levels of parts or complete controllers.

If none of those products meet your needs, you could build or buy your own controller.

A machine that is mechanically in good shape (and one that is priced right) could be used for years and years. A vintage Shopbot can be modified to do just about anything that you would expect a newer model Shopbot to do.

My "heavy iron" PRT-Alpha produces parts that are very nearly equal than my good friend Jeff's "lightweight aluminum" PRS-Alpha. I would say that the parts my machine cuts are better. Jeff would say that the parts that his machine cuts are better. The truth is that both of us are nearly blind, so we can hardly see what we've cut, much less know whether it is a quality product.

However I am quite certain that I would beat you in a foot race!

...Jeff is that a foot race to the EMERGENCY STOP...

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com

Looks like a good machine depending on the price. Only bad thing I can think of is that ShopBot added output protection to the motor drivers around 01 or 02. My Bot’s an 02 and I can replace the protection diodes for $1.50 in 20 minutes rather than sending the board into Shopbot to replace the driver chip. I can give more info on them but searching the forum I couldn't find my old post on the change.

That vacuum pump looks like it may be 3 phase. You may want to ask if you don’t have 3 phase power.

Well, after all that time, trouble and research, the owner decided to barter the machine to someone else, even though I agreed to his asking price.

After 10 years of fantasizing, this little encounter (plus all the great support here) has really solidified my desire for a Shopbot.

So if anyone knows of an older PRT machine available at a good price, let me know.

Thanks again for the help. skoop113@yahoo.com

keep watching the "For Sale" section they come up all the time. Who knows a better deal might come along!