Thread: Staining MDF a contrasting color

Default Staining MDF a contrasting color

I have made another blanket chest similar to this however with a flatter design on a mdf top.
    This lid although nice was painted with a yellow primer base then a (?)color stain. I wanted it to turn out like the plywood box. It was more of a flat color because it was mdf. What is the advisability of using a gel stain on mdf? I've used it on wood and it looks great just not on mdf.

I was thinking that the lid should be a very brighter contrasting color (in a wood shade) but have no idea what color or shade to use, or how to produce that shade. So be as detailed as possible about color, shade, brand name and how to apply as possible on mdf. thanks

37767.jpg
    Maybe something in this shade or lighter? (James McGrews work)

37768.jpg

anyone??

Interesting question. I can't give any input to your questions but I am also interested in any answers. Light stained mdf?? I would think that would be a multi x10 layer process. I am busy with the Sculpt Nouveau learning curve and that sure is keeping me busy!

I don't think it would be a multi 10 layer process. If you look at the box that was done with a "Danny Ray forumula" where it had a yellow primer basecoat then a stain topcoat and it turned out ok for my first try because you can see lighter shades depending on how i rubbed off the top coat.
    The problem is that, that was on plywood and i'm trying it on mdf. I am out cutting some small samples in mdf and am going to try various coatings myself. I will take some pictures and post if no one comes up with a better solution.

I tried the samples. One with a shellac base, then gel stain...looks lousey
    tried just gel stain...loussey
    just a rosewood stain...lousey
    They all seem to just soak in and make a flat "muddy" looking coat.
    Maybe several coats of shellac to try to harden the mdf to keep the gel stain from soaking in but more like sitting on the surface?

Yes, plywood is very different then MDF. Especially the edge! So Jack no 10 layers..... Just several
    Keep up the great report. I can't wait to see what ends up working.
    Thanks

you have to prime with a light tan primer, a couple of coats, sand smooth, then use a laquer based stain (mlc, nano chem etc.) we spray our stains and you can use a normal top canister gun from northern tool or home depot., turn the volume of material down until it is like spraying airbrush,, add coats untill desired finish is achieved, let dry reall good!! laquer coat twice bvefore sanding with 180gr and topcoat after!!

we do not use minwax but if you do allow to dry!!

jim

Jim I'll try that.
    Jack has posted a picture above with your name to it. Is that MDF with your finish on it? If not could you post a picture of your MDF with a light stain finish on it, and include an edge shot if you can. Thanks, your input is always very helpful!

the photo above is alder, i have some doors in my office i can photo tommorrow.

jim