Thread: Sometimes you need to do things the old fashioned way.

Default Sometimes you need to do things the old fashioned way.

This is a 4”x4.25” block that has a max cut depth of 2 3/8”. It is a combo of 2d and 3d cut files all rolled into one with v carve pro. It takes 4 minutes to cut with a ½” bit and another 30 seconds for the v bit to make the angled cut in front. I have the toolpath also level all the blocks to the same height. I may do 20 or so of these at a time.
    I made a nice vacuum puck just for these and I go and zero the bit and the first problem creeps up I run out of z room. I solve that issue to only have the block come loose and fly off.
    So I used to old fashioned method and clamp the block. In the long run this is better as it is very easy to place the block remove it for another one and be able to place it back again for the second tool cut.

23053.jpg

23054.jpg

Nice work Steve! Cut look clean.

Keep us posted.

real clean on the tropicals but not so much on American woods. I just ordered a roughing bit from centurion a 1/2" 3f rougher 2" long. that will cut with no tearout. this was a real bitch to draw. my friend did almost all of the work then I refined it. I am not that good at drawing and I know I could never do 3d work.

Remind me again, what is this part for? This looks like a very clean cut. I have found i'm getting lots of "endgrain" tearout on my maple carvings and have been using a wirebrush and flapsander to go over it. The next one i'm going to adjust the stepover, i don't care if it doubles the cut time. For being a "newbie" you are doing some nice stuff Steve.

maple is bad for that. I did some of these in myrtle and it was all fuzzy. down cut bits or rougher's will cut nice and smooth. so it is the wood and not me. padouk just cuts cleaner. I have had a lot of tearout with projects.
    here are pics of the finished item

23057.jpg

Steve, very nice looking... can you add custom name engraving to it?

I found Padauk to be very difficult to hold down with vacuum. I applied some shellac generously to the bottom and let it dry and that did the trick.

I had to move my Z up higher, I'm machining bat house sides from solid cedar and like you, when I got my puck done I lacked about 1/4" having enough clearance to move the bit over the block of material. With the raised and reinforced Z I've been running without problems.

What I don't like about Padauk is the mess it makes, very oily and red, leaves residue on everything, my DC hose is still red from 6 months ago. When I turn pens with it I'm "red handed" for a few days too.

Robert

Steve,

Give something like this a try. It's faster/easier than a C-clamp and puts pressure on both sides.

Scott

23062.jpg

padouk's dust is nasty it is one of the finest out there. all of my hoses are orange and it never goes away.