Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vectric Aspire Software

I don't think Rhino vs. Aspire is a good comparison, it looks like Aspire is meant to go after the ArtCam crowd...

Based on my experience with Vcarve pro, if it's as capable and intuitive as VCP, then I think that's an excellent price point.

Concur with Rob on Rhino comparison. Aspire is not a CAD program. However, it is probably THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PIECE OF SOFTWARE for ShopBot owners to date. It will open doors to many many custom creations by users for their customers. This was not possible until now at this price point with the ease of use of VCP. It is very impressive and at a price point that almost all can easily justify given it's capability. If you like PartWorks/VCP you will LOVE Aspire! The initial package is absolutly the best deal on the market today. Very, Very Impressive. Thanks Brian and James (and team) for a great introduction at the Jamboree.

I never understand software pricing -- looks like to me if one wished to have the market share they would lower the price. If this software was $500 how many more copies would they sale? if 4 copies at $500 would be the same as 1 at $2000 but they have 4 users that can contribute to the collective knowledge and help "sale" more copies. I understand they need to make a living also.

The product can be duplicated at very low cost, and very easy -- this also this also opens the door for pirates. so they add protection and I bet they pay a large amount of the $2k in each copy to keep it from becoming copied.

Look at the gaming industry (I know we are small compared to its volume) could you imagine games for the Xbox, PS3, Wii going for thousands of dollars? but hundreds of millions of dollars went in to making them.

I understand I.P. and I will buy software when it speeds production. but I would hit a $500 justification several times before I would ever hit a $2000..

Just my 2 cents -- by the way where did the cent mark go, you know the c with a line through it?

Rob, Mike, I only compared it to Rhino/RhinoCam because that's what I use and it's approx the same price. Actually, Aspire costs more. For this extra cost can it do more, or does it do less but do it faster and easier? Or maybe it does something completely different?

I would be interested in it if it was able to do something interesting which I wanted in ten minutes instead of two hours.

I met Tony and Brian early on in Vectric's career, and like both them and their software, and I wish them all success, but I got a bit wary when reading the cheerleading going on on the Vectric forum. I've seen a lot of "THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PIECE OF SOFTWARE for ShopBot owners to date" type comments without an explanantion why it is. I hope nobody forks out $2000 in a fit of enthusiasm only to find it's not for them.

No doubt the trial version will reveal all.

John

Hello everyone:

Will the Aspire software use the .vcp file extension? so that .vcp files created with SB partworks would open in the program? What about backward compatibility? As in, could a file created in Aspire be opened and previewed or toolpaths created in PartWorks even if the 3d sculpture could not be edited?

Gerald

Sometimes you have to get past the initial pricing,and look at the value of software in terms of how much time ,and money it can save you. This applies not only to the creation of "new" work but also in it's ability to "re-cycle" other files which have been unusable for owners in the past.
    An example would be the 20,000+ free 3D files which have been posted on the "Shopbot CNC resource list"
    (http://www.shopbottools.com/resourcelist.htm) for a few years.
    Many of these files were roughly done, and in some cases highly triangulated.This meant that while you could cut them the resulting work would require a LOT of sanding,touch up, etc.
    Using Aspire it is very easy to "salvage"these pieces with the on board 3D tools,and turn them into components that will save anyone hours of computer time.
    It's highly unlikely that just ONE program will fit everyone's needs, as they all have strengths in different areas. But for someone who wants to join in the process of creating something unique
    we have to view each software package the same way we choose our router bits; ease of use, longevity, and cleanliness of cuts...

The price of this software is well worth the investment. The competition, which they wrote long ago, is $8500! And, Aspire is further advanced then that. If you can use this type of software, you understand how great this is with the price. If you don't understand the importance of the software, then I can understand the questioning.

Having had our machine for seven plus years Jo-Anne and I had been looking at ArtCam for that length of time, but could not justify the price. Now with Aspire on the market, and the price of $900 for people that have any of the Vectric software, it was a dream made into a reality. Even at the 2k price we would have bought it. If you have ever had a model made for exclusive use it can be costly, both for you and the end customer. With Aspire we can now do it ourselves. Please don't get me wrong, some models I will still have done by James Booth just because of the quality of work he does, and I will continue to buy them from his site, there is no use trying to recreate the wheel again. With the amount of free 3D models out there Aspire gives us the ability to take them and modify them to fit our needs with relative ease.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

From what i understand aspire is 3D modeling software that allows you to make a 3 D model from a 2d design and machine the design into a 3 D piece. As an upgrade to V C P @ 900.00 cost. It sure beats the heck out of Artcam @ 8500.00

It would be a mistake to compare this program to Rhino.. it's much more suited to comparison to Enroute/Artcam/Type3. All these do fast mesh-based relief creation and editing. Rhino is predominantly a NURBS modeling program. Not sure if Aspire will do 1 and 2 line sweeps, revolves, etc... or be able to import and toolpath STLs and other 3d models from other programs (like the other programs can do). That could be one difference. The 3d puffing and relief creation is really the most important thing (it is a feature that is only available on the PRO version of each of the previously mention programs... they range from $7000-$10000, depending on if they require training $$$$ or not).

Rhino is a different beast altogether. It's possible, but it would take someone quite awhile to model a decorative, organic flourish with Rhino, but you can design a ship's hull or other complex surfaces in no time at all.

Aspire will be smart not to require expensive training or expensive 'service subscriptions' that make you pay to even get service updates, etc.