Thread: Another pinapple post...

Default Another pinapple post...

this one in cherry , as someone sugested. The desgin will be used for island posts , table pedistals and bed posts... and anything else I can think of.
    It is 7.5" dia x 24 inches tall
    49453.jpg

Hey Stephen i'm tired of you showing off! lol That is fantastic how did you create it?

btw i have one other use for it.....dessert! it looks delicious.

Hi Jack , I don't think of it as showing off so much as trying not to be boared to tears with regular rectangler cabinets.
    I must confess also that I was given the vectors by a fellow in the Artcam forum , although I have thought of some sort of pinapple thing off and on for a while.
    I did do the model myself , in artcam. The pineapple was "easy"... sort of. The leaves took some time ,had to learn a little more about two rail sweeps and pasteing mulitple reliefs on a existing model.
    I turned the blank to 7.5" dia first , then a Z level cut , a relief cut with 1/2" roundnose bit and the final toolpath was with an 1/8" tapered roundnose , total machine time -a little under 16 hours.
    I actually don't like eating pineapple but I like the shape.

Hey steven you should be proud cuz that looks great. I frankly am a bit surprised that there isn't more indexer art shown because to me, the indexer is one of the better addons for creativity.
    But as you note some of these files take a long time to make but the end result is worth the effort.
    How long did the center "pineapple" part take to carve? I have a picture somewhere of one i created that I believe was a combination of a left/right toolpath. If i find it i'll try to explain how it was made. again, good job.

I AM proud of it Jack ,in fact it made it into my new brochure. I agree with you on the indexer. It is a big reason I bought another shopbot.
    The whole piece was done as a 3D relief cut , in one shot. I have also done "pineapple" shapes useing V bits (round over bits would work too) but you can't cut steep curves with this method. Ahh... their is one exception , you can get a side cutting V bit from Magnate in Cal. This bit has a 5" shaft so you can cut on the side of the blank instead of top dead center. I haven't tried it yet , don't know if you can cut in X and Y and turn the indexer as well and get a good cut.
    49485.jpg
    49486.jpg

Steven,
    I have used side cutting v bits and reeding bits alot on my legacy which are very long from magnate but i have yet to use them on the indexer.

If i recall they have a bearing on the bottom and i just have never taken the time to figure out a toolpath to do reeding from the side on the indexer.
    The times i've needed to do that I just throw it on the legacy only because its quicker. Especially if i am doing a tapered profile you let the bearing do the work.

It looks as if you have amassed a library of beautiful designs that you should be very proud of. I am very envious!