Thread: Partworks software Test drive

Default Partworks software Test drive

I am just about convinced I need to spend over 12,000 for a tool which I have no idea of how to use other than some vauge idea I need it to increase productivity of our small shop, since I will be using profits to purchase it I would like to continue making profits to pay myself back. Anyway I have tried to get through the Shopbot web site a trial version of the Partworks and partworks3D software, but all I get from Aspire is the opportunity to try add on programs which will add to the initial cost. Am I missing somthing? Please let me know what you can. I really screwed up my left arm 2 years ago and it seems a PRS 48-96 would help me with a lot of things I used to (and still do) by hand.

I just went to look Rick and I can see how you could get confused.

PartWorks = VCarve Pro
    PartWorks3D = Cut3D

Request and download those programs from Vectric and you'll be demoing the right software.

Aspire is a very nice design software that has all the functionality of VCarve Pro and gives you much more powerful 3D design tools. You can demo it as well to help make up your mind.

Hope that helps on the software confusion.

The bot can really take a load off of you in the shop. It will sit there and make the same cuts over and over again while you work (or drink your favorite beverage and watch). In all of your decision making you should really visit someone else who has a bot and see it in action and attend a camp if you can get to one of them.

To find an owner willing to demo in your area call Shopbot or post in the Look for Shopbot Owner forum. The camp schedule is available online and is well worth attending before and after a bot purchase.

Good luck!

/RB

Hello Rick,

PartWorks and PartWorks 3D are exactly the same software products as VCarve Pro and Cut3D, and the trial versions can be downloaded from the Vectric web site,

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...s/download.htm

Video Tutorials and PDF manuals for each of the products are also available to download,

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr..._tutorials.htm

I hope this helps,

Tony

Thanks everybody

Do you remember any other learning issues you had in the beginning? I am 55 years old and have some computer experience, but not as much as I wish I had.

Rick,

The most important thing is to "let go" and enjoy the learning and take it one step at a time. Start with the simple things, squares, circles and actually cut them out from foam. Then get more complex as you practice. Go through the tutorials and videos and don't be afraid to ask questions. Like me you'll probably never be a "James Booth" (the guy that designs all that 3D stuff on VectorArt 3D) but you will get good enough to do the things you want to do.

VCarve Pro is one of the easiest programs to learn and apply in this field I've every worked with.

/RB

Unless you really have a need to upgrade to Aspire, I would start out using the software that comes with the Shopbot. I have been at this since 2004 and am on my second machine. I mostly do thing in sheet material and even though the idea of 3d work sounds fun...I have yet to do anything using 3d. I own a couple cad/cam packages now and since I have been using Partworks I stopped using my $2000 VisualMill CAM software, just because it is SO much easier to use Partworks to do the cam work. I draw in Rhino, but that is more so because I am just used to it. For what ever reason I seem to be able to draw my 2d shapes in it pretty fast and accurately. The Vectric based software is very easy to use and understand for the most part...there maybe some lingo issues at first, but I don't really think so. Compared to what i learned on Partworks is very point and click. The biggest issue I had when I first started was figuring out hold down was causing me most of my problems.

Rick,

I've been using an Alpha 96-48 for all of a week now and its really not as difficult as I thought it would be. There are several tutorial projects with videos which were incredibly effective at teaching well rounded uses of the design and tool path's. I just recreated them step by step and that taught me enough to be able to create my own designs. As a bonus you have this forum a Frank at tech support which are both phenomenal sources of help. I don't think you'll find that anywhere else.

I'm a cabinet builder and I am already wondering how I did it using conventional power tools! I would say that with a recovering arm that there are a lot of very heavy componets when assembling and handling sheets goods in a horizontal position is a new challenge. I used a vertical panel saw prior. Go for it, you won't regrete it!

Prior to me getting my shopbot I had a conventional shop. You know, table saw, band saw, thickness planer, jointer, ect.

I just happen to be watching a DIY show "Cool Tools" or something similarly named and they were demo'ing one. I thought that was just the coolest thing never having been exposed to one or knowing anything about it.
    Within 2 weeks i purchaed one and within 6 weeks got delivery. Within a week I was making things that made me look like a master craftsman.

I've done renovation work for years but not with a bot and if i can do stuff like this within a few weeks of getting mine then you should have no problem.

37695.jpg