10.75x8.75x0.83 hard maple
    8% stepover, raster with the grain
    Bits from Gary Beckwith
    Finish pass 1: 0.25" ballnose for 35 minutes at 6 ips xy&z
    Finish pass 2: 0.06125" ballnose for 2 hrs 45 min at 6ips
    Image from 3D Model Club with some sculpting done in Aspire

43537.jpg
    Larger Image

Very nice, Randall. I checked out your website too, good work. I've been toying with the idea of trying out the 3D Model Club, maybe I'll go ahead and do it now! Just curious though, what kind of additional sculpting did you need to do in Aspire?

Bill Munroe

The original design has the rider holding a rifle which I didn't care for and sculpted it out.

Be aware that the 3D model club designs are two to three times thicker than designs from Vectorart3D.com. Figure that your Z depth with be about 12% to 15% of your maximum X or Y size. The are wonderful designs but you need to anticipate the extra Z depth.

Some of the details look really good, but i'm curious about the outline that seems to be around it and i'm wondering why that is there?
    Good job though.

that looks great!!

jim

quote:i'm curious about the outline that seems to be around it and i'm wondering why that is there?
    I machined the entire design with a 1/4" bit and then used a 1/16" for getting the detail in the image. The line indicates the boundary that I had set for the 1/16" toolpath. The 1/16" bit was Z zeroed about 0.001" deeper than the 1/4" bit - hence the line. This should easily sand out with a mop sanding attachment on a dremel. The photo is essentially straight off the machine. I did some minor carving on the arm by hand to clean up the last artifacts of the rifle I had sculpted out.

I'll try to post another photo after the finish work is done.

makes sense...how much extra time did the 1/16th bit add to the machining and could you see a discernable difference in the detail making it worth the time?

Randall, thanks for posting this. loved your website. i especially like to see the times it takes for the router to rout things. I feel like i am going to an art museum

quote:how much extra time did the 1/16th bit add to the machining and could you see a discernable difference in the detail making it worth the time?
    The 1/16" pass added 2 hours and 45 minutes and was worth every minute. The preview in Aspire was very accurate and helped me find the best time/detail settings.

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Nice job Randall, when you apply a finish I'm sure it will make this piece pop even more.