Thread: What software do you use?

Default What software do you use?

I'm curious how to build a piece for above a doorway.(Attatched)

Cutting different levels seems easy enough, but giving it a curved edge, similar to the real thing, appears to be more difficult.

I'm curious if there is software available that could turn the fingers of the shell into contours, giving a 3D impression.

I'm also curious what other methods might be suggested.

Regards,

4217.jpg

Ryan,
    You can easily make the entire thing 3D using Rhino. By doing rail sweeps and extruding, you can get the 3D shape that you need.

You will of course need 3D CAM software to toolpath it. The cheapest route is MillWizard by DelCAM available through ShopBot for $250.

Doing 3D is a whole new game than doing 2D stuff as you will find out. It takes a long time to cut...and even longer for you to figure out how to get nice clean files for cutting.

-Brady

Ryan,

With no idea of "scale", I would take a different approach. Like Brady, I would first do a model in RHINO. I would then figure the bits I need to profile the "Arch". I think I would use a "Pointed round-over" or "beading bit" to do the "Rays". A small flat bottom bit would clean the area between the rays and the arch. I might use the same bit to give some shape to the center.

The file I just mentioned would cut very fast and give a nice "3D" appearance without the massive amount of time it takes to cut true 3D. Some clean-up with hand tools would give the impression of true hand-carving..... uh, not that I would try and do faux work.....

Ron

Ryan,
    The image shown below was done with a 1/8" roundover bit. The level of detail isn't bad but could have been much better if the stepover distance was made smaller. I've done similar parts as these from scratch using artcam. This particular part was copied using the shopbot probe. It is part of a multiple piece molding on the legs of a custom made pooltable I built.

4226.jpg

Ron
    Do you have a good sources for "Pointed round-over" bits? Are you able to find pretty sharp "point" (1/16-3/32") with rays about 3/8-1/2" (maybe bigger)?

Another point, just for curiousity, why would you use 3D CAD to design this using "shape" bit?!
    Would'nt a 2D do this...

I have a similar project that "standard" 3D would'nt give satisfying result... I think!

Paco,
    If I am reading Ron's post correctly, he IS suggesting to do it using multiple bits and a 2D strategy.

If I were doing this project, I would machine the center section 1st and then make a frame to go around it. www.pricecutter.com is just one of many places to get pointed roundover bits.

-Brady

Paco,

Brady is correct. As for using a 3D program for 2D it is because I use and understand the program. I don't like using several programs when I can work in one that becomes very familiar.

I have used many bits from WWW.woodbits.com - they have the bit I would use - because it is in my bit box.

Ron

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

I'm with Ron on this one. You could do this project as a 3D file.....but it would require far more time on the router than doing it with "shaping" style bits and a well thought out cutting strategy. Rhino, by the way, handles 2D just fine....it just also happens to easly handle 3D files. The Rhino-Visualmill Basic combo is the best bang for the buck combo I've seen. It is far advanced over Millwizard....though it's around 3 times the price. The 2 together will do 90% of what Artcam will do....for 20% of the price.

I get bits from Hartlauer.com...really nice folks there....D

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

(Smiling) Thanks Gerald! You don't miss much....D