Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss Gerald Dorrington

Signs of the Times in Brighton, Brighton Ontario

Default I miss Gerald Dorrington

Having been on this forum since 2000 and having gone through all the growth issues with Shopbot before they became a "consumer goods" factory; I finally just realized how much Shopbot has changed. For the better considering todays customers and Ted is finally reaping the rewards of his applaudable long term efforts. This all being said I do miss the past comraderies and debates, some which are still simmering. Back then there wasn't the usual post about "can I get a free toolpath for this", "can somebody tell me how to cut a square". Back then we were trying very hard to get our machines to run and were constantly experimenting on different features in conjunction with Shopbot. We picked each others brains and grew together.. Among those who made very very substantial contributions was a S.A. technocrat named Gerald Dorrington. Just want to know if any others feel the same or I am just mal adjusted.

We are all mal adjusted! I belive Gerald started MechMate and they have a forum as well. I agree thing have changed quite a bit and I've only been around since 2004.

The snow was whiter when I was a boy, too.

Yes, and Raymond walked ten miles to school everyday in that snow too. ;-)

It seems to me that the focus of the group has shifted from hardware to software issues predominantly. Possibly because prior the shopbot was a "work in progress" you had more physical technical issues that have since been worked out.

It seems there have been far more advances and issues on the software side with the control software and other programs which have garnered questions and debate.

As one of those guilty of asking "can I get a free toolpath for this", for which I make no apologies, the level of help and instruction I received from many many botters when I started out has helped me immensely. I inturn have gone out of my way off and on this forum to help others as much as I can to "pay it forward".

I guess that since I bought my shopbot I have had almost no hardware technical issues and didn't need much help in that realm.

I know there are some who have the "figure it out for yourself" mentality. But I don't see that too much.
    It seems to me that some addons that have caused more interest are the indexer for which other applications have been developed to make it more useable and here lately some smart guys have figured out how to use stepper motors to cut vinyl and other materials which is very interesting.

So I think that Shopbot has changed because they have worked out their physical issues and the software that controls it or is used with it seems to evolve more than the hardware.

Oh I miss Gerald.

I felt confident in buying a shopbot because of the forum, and largely at the time because of Gerald.

The snow was whiter when you were a boy, because it was still the Ice Age. Ha ha ha *ZING*

Signs of the Times in Brighton, Brighton Ontario

Wondered who owned all that white stuff and just now remembered who had the pet wooly mammoth when I was in school.......heheheheheh.. back to the beer now. Jack buddy, you missed all the fun.

The mechanical and technical issues of figuring all that are, for the most part, admitedly, over my head. That was why I was willing to pay for my unit already made by buying a shopbot.

I read in other forums like CNCZone where other brave souls want to take on making their bots from scratch or someone like Khalid who cobble together a machine and do a really neat job and I admire that, only I don't have the patience to do that. My "Frustration Factor" is pretty low.
    So I guess that was one party i'm glad I missed! lol.

Ken, You forgot to mention that Ray walked home in it too, uphill both ways.