Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Default Windows Vista

I just installed a new computer with Windows Vista OS replacing my tired old 400 MHZ job that couldn't keep up with my lightning fast 4G Benchtop. I had nothing but trouble getting the ShopBot software loaded and working. I had to remove and reload the software three times before it quit giving me faults. After a fault, the software would not come up at all. Has anyone had any Vista experiences yet?

I am very tempted to remove XP from my old computer and install it over Vista if that is possible. Maybe it's a learning thing (on my part), but Vista seems like is is much slower booting and doing its job.

Mike,
    I'd dump Vista. It is a resource hog and many programs are very unstable on it. Install XP. You'll save yourself some headaches.

Andy B.

That is my initial impression too. Thanks.

I switched to Vista for my main programming computer. I use it to run ArtCam Insignia, Ver 3.6. At first Insignia would not run correctly, but after some updates from Microsoft, it works great. (Much faster than XP)

You must tell Vista that you want it to operate your programs in "compatability mode".

Although Vista runs "ShopBot Control Software" in "Preview Mode" with no problem, I still run my ShopBot with a computer using XP, so I can't say for sure Vista would run it.

Mike..
    Exact Ditto to what Tim says, but I am using PW not Insignia. I didnt have any problems with the install. The dedicated shop computer has XP Pro with all non esential services disabled.
    Gary

I think Tim is right. Try right clicking on your program icon, click the compatibility tab and then select which version of windows you want to run the program. When your program starts it should be happy because it thinks it is running under whatever OS you selected. (thats how it works under XP - I don't have Vista yet)

I had problems installing KCDw when I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista. KCD told me I need 2g or it won't install, we did get installed but it took a very long time. I've added 1 g and it works more like a old computer with XP on it. Where all going to get stuck with Vista at some point. I wonder what tech support has to say about Vista.

frank Guest

We still recommned Windows XP as the preferred OS. Since Vista is shipping on new computers we did some testing and the ShopBot software works on Vista Small Business and higher. Microsoft recommends 1G minimum for memory, but you'll get better performance with at least 2G. At the present time I'd stay away from Home Basic and Pro since we haven't done testing on them and have had reported problems getting the ShopBot software to work.

I sure wish we could buy a control box with the CPU in there. I would only need to have a USB port to plug my USB memory stick into. A keyboard port and monitor port on the control box.

Ed,

You still need a screen. I was looking for a flat panel to switch out my old monitor to save space and found a screen with built in computer on EBAY. They are made by Gateway and called Profile computers. I replaced both the monitor and computer at once for a little over $100.00. I just checked and they have 116 of them right now.