Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More vacuum questions?

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Here is how I designed my vac table I got all of my inspiration from others on this site. I have 3 pieces of T track inside the 4x8 cutting area in the plenum material but not inside the vac zones instead it is between the zones. I also have the whole table perimeter surrounded with T track outside the 4x8 cutting area. I mounted 2x4’s on each side in the x direction planned to just under the plenum level between the rails and the plenum. The ends I used a piece of 2x4 and a piece of 4x4 bolted to the end leg brackets. I cut plastic and don’t use a spoil board because I do not do through cuts my parts are too small and the vac would not hold them.

If I did decide to use a spoil board I would not use a full sheet I would cut it to fit each zone that way the T track would be below the surface of the spoil board but you would still have access to the T track. I also think that would be better because if you wear one section out from cutting into it you would not have to replace the whole sheet. You could replace the worn section and zero your Z to your lowest spoil board section and surface that section to match the rest. By using this method you could still cut full sheets. I have made up some special clamp boards for the perimeter to hold things from moving latterly and the vac sucks the sheets flat. I made some cam type clamps from HDPE I clamp the boards on 2 sides then use the cam clamps on the other 2 sides to take any slack out the clamping with vacuum works great. It is nice to be able to turn off the vac and not worry about bumping the material and knocking things out of zero when changing bits, so far I am very happy with my table.

Mike

Here is a link to my table build.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1242436083

thank you everybody for all your wisdom, it really is inspirational to be a part of such a great community! I hope my students get it some day! I am off to go backpacking. I am supposed to get my prs 48x96 in a week or so!

Howie, that makes more sense. Sounds like a lot of work but if the system works it would be a great table.

As Hillel said, thank you all for your wisdom. Sorry for not replying earlier, I have a new born baby boy and no it's not the shopbot
    I should have included my profile as mentioned. I have a 4x8" 2007 PRS standard with 4HP spindle. So far I've spent my extra time in the last few months getting familiar with the Bot and calibration (Shew!) As someone else stated "I'm having way to much fun".
    I'm at the point to where I now need to focus in on my product line/production which starts with a hold down system. I have time as this is going to be added to our current services and time is not that critical.
    Please bear with me as I'm new to CNC and vacuum systems and I'm still grasping the concepts of the vacuum hold down.
    So if say a 12"x48"x1" piece of Cherry wood is planed but still has a little "teeder" on the table top will vacuum pull it down tight to the surface? I've never used vacuum so am not sure what to expect.
    I like the idea of a bunch of t-track incorporated into the vacuum table but is it not necessary for solid planks using vacuum?
    Another question: MDF seems to be the standard but I'm already seeing many draw backs to using it, mainly curling of the edges, why is a good quality ply wood not used in place of MFD.
    Again I'm very "Green" so please bear with me.