Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sintra and paint?

Default Sintra and paint?

Can Sintra be painted?

I know it's available in colors but the idea is for the customer to customize the appearance. I'd rather not have to cut 8 different colors on a low volume item.

If not, anyone know of something similar that will stand up outside?

/RB

you can use dibond it costs about the same but works better outside and is fully paintable. sintra wants to move when it gets outside and wants to fade. though since you want to paint it may not be an issue.
    dibond is more stable and gives you a smooth paintable face or faces.

I paint Komatex with Rustoleum spray paint IN REAL LIGHT COATS and it sticks.

I have painted sintra and komatex using plastic spray paint like Krylon's Fusion.

But let me recommend NOT painting a large surface if you are putting the plastic outdoors. The sheets change size in the heat of the day and the paint can crackle and come off.

Here is the (a) manufacturer website, which does not mention paint, but it does talk about the size changes, even going so far as to recommend not firmly screwing the material together too tightly too accommodate this change in size...

http://www.kommerlingusa.com/Komatex/index.html

http://www.kommerlingusa.com/KomAlu/...rPVCUsage.html

BTW I also get this stuff printed with UV resistant ink from a large scale print house and that seems to work out well but it is expensive.

When I need to glue this stuff up I use clear PVC glue from the hardware store and it has worked great so far. (crosses fingers)

I like expanded PVC and use it quite a bit

Dave

edit: the first page does mention paint, stating the PVC substrate will accept most types of paint. I will have to try that as I have only used "plastic paint"

We use auto paint

Rob, I use Celtec and Sintra. Based on the recomendation from Celtec, I use Sherwin Williams Super paint. They recommend gloss or flat. For whatever reason they don't recommend the semi gloss. They also do not recommend primer. I have several signs outdoors for 2 yrs. plus and they still look good. I do scuff any unmachined surfaces. It also takes about 3 days before you can't scrape it off.
    Bryson

I painted PVC pipe with Krylon Fusion paint just for the fun of it prepping for a family get together.
    It's been three years in the hot desert sun and cold desert winters and it still looks new, albiet dusty at times.

What you can't do is paint an additional coat too soon. I'm an avid fan of the paint. I'd agree with Dave, painting a large surface area for another reason......the tendancy to go over spots you missed. It will crinkle up unless completely dry.

48903.jpg

We do a lot of cut out letters from .5" thick PVC and just paint with either a premium grade 100% acrylic or spray with regular Krylon or other brand rattle can.

I have no experience with spraying large areas with spray cans. For large, flat surfaces we just roll on latex or spray with a HVLP gun.

Wait at least 48 hours before recoating or there is the danger of wrinkling.

Wow... lots of feedback. I'll be working with small pieces about 16" x 10" and smaller. They will be fastened to a painted plywood backing so I'll have to give some thought to that.

/RB

We scuff sand then pre-paint PVC with a good grade exterior acrylic latex, put on a masking and rout it, then fill/paint the routed letters and have yet to have a problem with the paint lifting when removing the mask, so it must be adhering very good.

Larry