Thread: Painting Last Supper

Default Painting Last Supper

How would you go about painting this? I would like to paint it one color, but, not sure the color I should use so the characters and back ground are easy to see. I cut this using HDU #15.
    Jimmy

31769.jpg

31770.jpg

Jimmy,
    I can't find it now,but from memory I recall there was a guy here who carved a Forest scene that his son I think combined with another file in a 3rd party program and he carved it for a friend who in turn was going to buy a shopbot.
    Someone might recall that, I couldn't find the post in virtual show and tell and i think it was posted in another heading.

ANYWAY..he spelled it out in detail his finishing technique with gel stain that when he was thru looked as if it left an outline around the parts in his carving and made them literally stand out from the surface where a even coat of stain would make your carving look like a board with bumps on it. It has been discussed before and it is a dramatic finish.
    I hope whoever it was recognizes the description and posts the original link. I copied the txt of his details but now i can't find it to post.

I knew I was on the right track! This must be a sign of old age but many times if i am going to the hardware store I can see the part in my head and i have to try to describe it because i can't pull from my memory the name of the part. This was similar, I knew what i saw but couldn't think of who it was...it was ERNIE!

Jack
    Thanks, when you wrote what you saw in a another post, I remembered the same post but couldn't find it either. I do appreciate the help.

Thanks Ernie for the link, and that is what I want to do with my project.

But, will it work on HDU foam?

Thanks for the Help Guys
    Jimmy

Jimmy,

You put your finger on a concern. HDU needs to be primed. Primer degrades detail.

I'd consider, no primer, go direct with Sculpt Nouveau like peuter or bronze. That way, any imprefections would look even better. This is a friendly oxidizing process which adds years to the appearance, overnihgt.

To get added depth I'd use their black or brown wax in the recesses, and a soft lambs wood buffer just on the raised surfaces. Buff very gently.

Well Shoot,

There's a typo wood buffer isn't exactly what I intended. "Wool Buffer"

MOORE: Since HDU has no character of it's own, your left with making it up. In this case we are dealing with an ancient subject so it seens only natural to give it a historical look. There are many antique patina's you could go with. I've suggested Sculpt Nouveau since it's a metalized antique and easy to use.