Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh what a relief it is!

John,
    On a project this size, Z-level roughing is a necessity. There's just too much force on the long cutter to forego the roughing pass. At 1st glance a roughing pass seems like a waste of time...when in reality, if the bit could take the force without serious deflection or breakage, you would have to run it at a very slow rate...and the cutting would actually take longer & the finish quality would suffer. You can get away without roughing on smaller & shallow reliefs. Most of the time roughing only takes minutes & saves a lot of time.

Scanning...yes...This is a essentially a digitizing service that I offer to those who cannot afford a professional laser setup. This is a unit that I designed around industrial laser sensors and it is the result of over a year of R&D. The hardware is not for sale or available. The service however is. I've scanned everything from a giant ice cream cone to musical instruments and customers send me things from all around the world. Many of my customers have Picza, NextEngine and even Scantech units, but need a higher resolution relief, something that their equipment cannot do. I really don't want to get into the CMM equipment business, but I do offer high resolution scanning at a very affordable rate. If you need scanning you can forward me pictures of your model for a quote. At the moment I am putting together a dedicated laser rotary scanner, which will scan 5-sides of a part in one go. This will be ideal for those who need models for the indexer, or multi-sided parts.

Don't throw away your touch probe! You can still scan 2D patterns and shapes with it!
    I used the SB probe for years & it is an excellent way to get into digitizing on a shoestring. I started getting more digitizing work than the SB could handle (time/speed) so that's when I began researching lasers.

-B
    PS- Here's a pic of the ice cream cone. It was about 6" in Z.

19353.jpg
    19354.jpg

Can you give us an estimate on how much you would charge for digitizing the snow cone so we have an idea of whether or not we could afford this? I do very little for pay, but occasionally people ask me for things like this (and a guesstimate of cost). I've not any reference points to even make an estimated guess. I'm sure there are others who would like ballpark figures.

Please contact me off list for pricing on laser scanning.

-B

Brady,

Fantastic work. Impressed with your scanner.
    I have the nextengine laser but havn't delved all the way in yet. The Resolution issue seems to have been a result of some software but that seems to keep improving.
    Again I love your shield relief. Awesome.

Bill

Brady,

Thanks for sharing. Once again, you truly are an inspiration to those of us "coming up".
    Your work and abilities are a benchmark for me to test my own mettle to.

Now, if I could only figure out how to price my work so I keep busy.
    There has to be a book somewhere! :^)

Thanks for the positive comments guys. It was a lot of fun to do & a neat conversation piece to have on one of the shop walls.

-B

I assume the texturing was a seperate toolpath? How much extra time did that add to the project and do you think it was worth doing or would a non textured surface look ok? Are you going to paint or finish this in any way?

Jack,
    The texture was part of the 3D scan & resulting toolpath. There are other ways to add texture via 2D (XZ or YZ) strategies, but I just cut the file as it come off of the laser...which was limited to the detail that a 3/8" ball could cut. A 1/4" would pick up much more detail at the expense of time...but I could have also just isolated higer detailed areas only to do those parts with a smaller bit as well.

-B

Very Nice Brady! The possibilities are endless.

Very nice-what kind of digitizer do you use? I like the icecream cone. You do some AWESOME work

Nikki