Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable Router brushes out after 3 months??

Default Porter Cable Router brushes out after 3 months??

I've been using my shopbot with a porter cable router for under 3 months now.

I've been noticing more sparks than normal and it looks like my brushes are shot.

I run it about 1 hour a day about 4 days a week or less. I'm cutting 3/4 particle board with a 1/4" bit. I'm doing 3 passes at 1.7-2.3 i.p.s.

Does this sound normal? I didn't think I was running it alot so I figured they would last much longer than this.

I'm not sure if I should take it my service center or jsut by new brushes?

-Mike

BTW: Anyone recommend somewhere to by them from?

I have been running my alot more then you and it is about 2 years old and no problems yet . What RPM are you running it ?.
    I cutt all of my stuff from 10000 - 16000 RPM and mostly at about 7"ips .
    So yes they should last a lot longer.

Usually 16,000 RPM.

I'm almost thinking of just replacing them myself, as I can't afford much down time (if I took it to a service center).

I just wonder if there's a bigger problem and they might wear out again.

You should have it checked and/or replaced. I have many and have had many PC routers.

I purchased a new one a little over a year ago and it began to spark as you describe after several months of use... then BAM thwwpppttttatatatabangbanggrind.... it shot fire spewed plastic parts and gave up the ghost. I never learned what was really wrong with it but it was in warranty and I got a new router. Took about 2 weeks for the swap. I expected the worst but no one asked me any questions, just replaced it.

Robert

Never replace your own brushes, on a new router. PC is infamous for using some lousy offshore bearings when they are low on the good ones. The offshore bearings are not true, and will cause your router too over heat. I had my tech cahnage my bearing s after 2.5 years running fairly hard, and I warned him not too put offshore bearings in, as they would over heat right away. He did not believe me and replaced the bearings then tried the tool and sure enough it was hot with no load. He very quickly ordered the new bearings from PC. It has worked well ever since and does not heat up. I have seen a few in my travels out of the box get hot.
    Dale

Mike,

If you're running the router off an extension cord make sure the guage of the wire is heavy enough... undersize wire in cords can cause brushes to burn out prematurely.

Bill,
    Yes, I got the shortest and thickest cord I could get. Rated for 20 amps if I recall.

Everyone,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take it to my local repair center. and buy a repalcment online with 3-day shipping.
    -Mike

I've been running my Porter Cable router for seven years and replaced the bearings and bushings for the first time last year. Since then I've put at least 200 hours on the new bearings and brushes (mostly at 16,000rpm or less) and it's still working perfectly. Something must be wrong or at least very different with one that lasts only 3 months or about 50 hours.

Took a little over 3 weeks, but they did fix it. Or replace it with another used router actually.

In the mean time I had to buy another one, so I've got a backup now.

Thanks again for all the help.
    -Mike

Changing brushes and bearings on a Porter-Cable is not difficult. The first time you do it might take about 1/2-hour. Before I bought the spindle, I changed bearings on three Porter-Cables. Other than needing an impact wrench to get the bottom nut off, nothing special is required.

Perhaps the best part about changing the bearings is that you can replace the factory bearings with SHIELDED bearings that will run much cooler than the sealed bearings that are installed at the factory. That alone is worth the trouble.