Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Improved Laser Scanner setup

Some more work i did .. I also scanned a coin with nice results..but i will post it later...

46967.jpg

I wish i scan this beautiful door AKA " Door of Paradise" of Baptistery in Florence....

46970.jpg

This is my last test scan.. Now on-forward i will make a turntable to make 360 degree scan...

46981.jpg

and the results

46984.jpg

Amazing. I can't wait to see what you can pull of with the 360 degree table.

g.

Further improvements were carried out in my laser scanning setup... Now i calibrate once for REFERENCE scanning and after this i no need calibration panel..My setup is portable now..Means I just have one calibration perform at my home and can move it any where and start scanning..

A big advantage you can scan big objects and then merge all the scan..

47826.jpg

47827.jpg

47828.jpg

47829.jpg

Looks like an interesting setup, but the round target paper (with dots) is confusing me. Is this the target for calibration? I assume the other items are put in place later and scanned with the previous calibration points?

Is this portable enough to scan in the field without being chased by police? ;-)

Paul

Kahlid,
    I used to be a tug captain and worked on the water for 20 years.
    A moth-balled ship docked where I worked was purchased. It was a NOAA research ship. The new owners didn't like the shape of the bow. The plan was to turn the ship into a fake sailing vessel so they wanted a much longer bow. They wanted to build the new bow in another country and attach the bow upon the arrival of the ship.

The cruise line that purchased the ship hired a company to laser shoot the ships bow to make a take off. The laser guys were not as common sense as one might think. I was just getting into this high tech stuff so I was intrigued with the process.
    They shot the bow at pre-placed reflectors...about every foot and slowly the bow...or one half of the bow started taking shape on a puter screen. I was just an interested bystander doing other things. But the laser guys were miffed...they said the image was fuzzy.
    When I overheard this, I interrupted and said.....Of course it's fuzzy, the ship is moving!
    They had obvious never been around the water. They were stunned when I proved to them the ship was moving around 2' or 3' at a wack. They had no idea.
    Then... they had no idea how to fix it.
    What was supposed to be a 2 hour in and out became a weekend. They hired me to weld angle iron on the ship to make a platform to hold the laser.
    It came out perfect!

Then I asked them what they were going to do about the other side?

Isn't it the same? they asked.
    No!
    So I flipped the ship for them and re-did the whole process. One side was about 1.5' different than the other side.

Evidently the data was worth it to them as they doubled my fee for solving the problem.

What I'm getting at is it seems like the data gathering was a wee bit different for them than the method you use. Do you know what they might be using?

This was about 1999.

Paul and Chuck, thanks for posting...Paul the round target paper is nothing to do with this setup..

Chuck, you are a genius
    and a good problem solver... I don't know what equipment they used at that old times..Currently the laser scanning equipment are sophisticated and you just have to support it with hands and start scanning..

My setup is portable now, i have to calibrate my setup once ( and if the setup is not disturb i no more need calibration after word)...

Attached is the 360 degree scan of the Deer..

Thanks for watching...

48190.jpg

48191.jpg