Thread: Archive through November 30, 2000

Default Archive through November 30, 2000

I am going to buy a shopbot. I just can't decide exactly what size. Once you pay the mod fee the feet are pretty cheap so I'm just wondering how hard it would be to set up a much longer machine. Even whether I should just go for 16 feet so 2 4X8 's will fit. It will be used for making airplanes for me. Molds, milled out spars ect. (I'll be happy to make airplane parts for fellow shopboters.) Any advice would be appreciated before I send in my deposit. My basic concern is that I don't want to have to wish I had just got it a foot longer. But I don't want so many problems that I wish it the other way either. Sugestions?

I bought a used system that's 1/2 size (2X8). for my use, it's just right. after fitting it in the garage, I wouldn't have had room to move around a full width system. as is, it's a bit tight with all the other stuff.

if you have room though, and I assume there's plenty in a hangar, it would be nice to have a table large enough so that the 'bot could be working on one sheet while you're reloading the other side.

da

cmrtom@att.net Guest

I have modified mine. It was easy. I have built a heavier frame out of 10 inch steel channel. Building one to cut 16 ft would not be a problem. I am working on a second bot now. Using high speed elevator rail for the main frame gear setup and the Shop Bot setup for the cross frame. Should not be a problem, will have a 10 ft by 24 ft with a 4 ft Z axis on the floor next year as well.....

tmf

Sugeri Inc., Crystal Beach Ontario Canada

I don't know about the material that you would use for airplanes BUT most of the furniture and sign material sheets come in 4x8, 4x9, 4x10, 5x8, 5x9 and 5x10 foot sizes including some real oddball ones like 6 by 14. All of this material (not being consumer products) are ALL 1" oversize as well, so a 5 by 9 is really 61" by 109".

It's been my experience (with furniture) that a 5 by 9 sheet is ALWAYS more usable than a 4 by 8 sheet (even with the extra inch)!

I hope that this helps.

Thanks for the input. Due to lots of advice and mesuring my work space, I decided that a 12x5 with a 24" z would do the job. I ordered it yesterday! So finnally I will have the tool I need to make some very cool airplanes and cierva style autogyros. Too bad the wait time is three months until I get it