Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aromatic cedar

Default Aromatic cedar

Had a guy stop in my shop stating he had 1,000 bd ft. of aromatic cedar. Said it has been drying for about 6 months.
    He wants $1.00 per bd ft. Is this a good price. Is 6 months sufficient drying time.
    What can I do to insure I don't get ripped off?
    Thanks in advance.
    David

Did you have a good look at the material

What thickness?
    What are you going to use it for?
    Is it finished, good four sides?

Haven't seen it Joe. Told me it was about 1". As for uses, I am not sure but I figure it would be good for exterior signs. I can use your input there for sure. Also maybe make some chairs or chests. Just trying to find info if it is a good deal and what to be wary of.
    Thanks Joe.

A board foot is 12" wide X 12" long by 1" thick. I haven't seen any 12" wide cedar in a long time. Most cedar trees aren't that thick so make sure you measure and count your board feet.

unless you make lots of furniture, by the time you get around to using the first 100 feet this should be plenty dry.
    $1.00/ft is a decent deal. Where are you located? There is a guy local here in va who is selling cedar 1.00/ft. Do you have to buy all 1000 feet?

Good advice Jack. 3 weeks ago I was charged for 30 bd ft of oak. This was my 4 th shipment. I decided to take the time to measure and convert to board feet. I was short and charged for an extra 10 bd ft. I can only guess it wasn't the first error they made. I check every thing now.
    The supplier made things right for me but that isn't the point.
    Thanks, David

David,

A rule of thumb for drying to a good workable MC is 1 year for each 1" of thickness. If this wood is 1" thick it is only about half way dry. You want an MC of 6% to 8% for it to be good and stable for furniture work. Air dried wood is some of the best.

The other thing to watch out for is any bug infestation. Kiln drying kills any remaining bugs in the wood. However, air drying won't kill them and you would bring them home with you.

Best advice, as stated from the other guys, look it over VERY carefully. I would bulk at claims of 12" wide cedar also.

Don
    www.diamondlakewoodworks.com

David

1st of all Aromatic cedar should be air dried.
    The best method to test is with a meter.Otherwise,
    1 year for each 1" of thickness.

Expect a lot of knots and narrow boards.

Great for drawer/cabinet liners

Erminio

So if it has been drying for only 6 months will there be shrinkage? If so will it matter as far as measuring and losing size?
    The guy claimed the boards were 4-8" widths.
    If there is bugs can they be seen or do they remain hidden? I don't want to ruin any other material from bringing in bugs. Maybe I should let this deal pass. Is $1.00 per bd. ft. a bargain? I didn't get a chance to call the supply house and get a price from them.

But you are going to love the smell of the shop the first time you put it thru a thickness planer. I usually just leave the sawdust laying on the floor.
    I have some empty boxes in the rafters above and had some squirrels gather up lots of sawdust and leaves and made nests in them. I leave it there for them for the winters.
    I have some 6"x6"x4' cedar that i have been drying for at least 5yrs now that i put in plastic trash bags to control the drying process and so far no cracks at all.
    Also look into getting some "Anchorseal", a milky waxy solution the consistency of thick milk that when applied dries clear and you cover the ends of your boards to control cracking.

There may be some minimal shrinkage but you can always recover that by buying a"board stretcher".
    I wouldn't let your fear of bugs deter you from a good deal.