Thread: I did It

Default I did It

I order my first shopbot on Friday, should be shipped around the 30th and I should get it about the second week of January. I am getting the PRT96 alpha.

Anything to know about setting it up?

Hi Ron,
    I just finished assembling my PRT96 table. I ran a laser beam down the X-rail to straighten the first rail. Then a 360 degree laser level to fine tune the shims under the X-Rails. Worked like a champ. With the Y "cart" installed both the X and Y axis were 0.0, full length, on my digital level.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers,
    Jim

Jim, what type of laser do you have? I have difficulty in seeing how a typical laser will help you get rails straight to within about 5 thou? Why not use a straight-edge and feeler gauges?

Ron
    Have a look here.

.........and then this.
    If you have bought a table from ShopBot, then a lot of that 3 part, 400 odd messages thread will not apply to you, but there is still a lot of good information in it.
    Then if you have ordered a spindle, check up on all the spindle related threads.
    Welcome to the fold, with the certainty of a happy new year

..............Mike

Gerald, I also would like to know what kind of laser is being used to obtain the accuracy of a few thousands. I have been following the discussions on the forum about using lasers on the Bot to help with various tasks. I have been very interested in the concept; however, my experience with cheap lasers has been with their accuracy. It is my feeling that they would be hard pressed to be within 1/16” of an inch at 8 feet. I would also like to know what brand of inexpensive laser is available to accomplish accuracy of a few thousands. Is it correct to assume that the Radio Shack model discussed on another thread will produce that kind of accuracy? Or am I missing the point somewhere?

HI Gerald,
    I had the same reservations. I was worried about beam width so I had to figure a way to "trim down" the beam width.
    I first used the straight edge method them "checked" it with the laser.
    To fine tune the rails I had to have an darkened room. Then ran the beam from above focusing on the flat spot on the rail. That process only confirmed the rail was straight.
    Next I used simple B&D tripod laser to level the rails. To do this I placed the laser, centered between the rails. Next I raised the laser until the laser light just broke the top of the rails and projected onto the walls beyond the rails. Then I lowered the beam until only the low spots allowed light to be projected onto the wall. Shimed until the light was gone.
    Pleasantly surprised.
    Cheers,
    Jim

A little more-
    One can also use a piece of white paper or cardboard beyond the rail to read the light over the rail.
    Apologies for not having anymore information on the type of laser. I'm on the road for the next week and don't have the specs handy. Net access is spotty too so replies may be slow.
    Jim