Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skateboard

Default Skateboard

Hey 'botters, Happy New Year!

I hope everyone is well. I wanted to share a small project with you.

One of the kids' wooden skateboards was left in the grass where I sometimes park my truck. Well, my truck won, so we needed a new board for the skates. I had some extra acrylic around so I designed a simple board in Aspire and we're back in business.

The traction grooves are v-carved using a "machine on vector" profile toolpath.
    The skate mount holes are peck drilled and the cutout was a simple outside profile.

Piece of cake! .....If you've got a shopbot and the right software!

49988.jpg

49989.jpg

Very nice Scott!

I ran over my impact driver.Can you help me out?

Scott, Let's see a video of you hopping on there and throwing that stick around a little.

What tickness of acrylic? Looks cool.

I hope your boy knows that he now has the coolest skateboard around...not to mention the coolest dad for making that for him!! lol

Will Plexiglas hold up to the punishment?

I would feel better if it was polycarbonate...

Nice work.

RIB

Scott--

Great idea! What's the thickness of the acrylic? Also, what is the center-to-center spacing of the trucks? And lastly, is the surface flat, or did you do something to curl the ends up a little?

Hi guys. Thanks for the comments.

The acrylic was 1/2" thick and it holds up to my jumping on it, so it should work for a while. I've got thicker stuff if this should break.

The size and spacing of the wheels were based on the old board. I also looked into bending the acrylic for the kicktails, but don't have the right setup for heating it correctly. I might soon. It looks simple and inexpensive.

The kicktails would help with those big jumps I make.....cough, cough.

Erminio, Sure I could help you with your driving, but I run over stuff too. ;-)

I've bent acrylic up to about a 1/2" thick with my home made benders. Similar to the one in this pic, they use a fibreglass heat strip element (meant for pipe thawing) layed into a routed piece of plywood, with several layers of foil tape and aluminum to keep it from scorching the plywood. I can bend a 22.5deg angle in 1/2" after it cooks about 15 minutes one side and then about 5 minutes the other side. Thinner sheets take less time and can be heated from one side only.

50029.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience laminating wood skateboard decks?

Scott,

My concern would be, if it broke, would the edge be razor sharp and cause some pretty bad injuries? I love your design but I would hate for anyone to get hurt.

John,

I've been messing around with one of those electric charcoal grill starters (basically an electric coil with a handle) and have had pretty interesting results. Looks like you can handle a pretty big sheet with your setup though! What are you making with it?
    I've never laminated a skateboard deck but I have done gluing jigs for a number of laminated products. My most recent effort was a laminated oak edge for a corian countertop I cut for my bathroom.

50039.jpg