Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I do what the CarveWright does on my bot?

Default How can I do what the CarveWright does on my bot?

I bet you have seen the CarewWright and know it can take a graphic and carve it without knowing anything about CAD/CAM. So, how can I do the same thing on my shopbot? I have been cutting 2D up to this point but hope I don't have to buy one of these machines to do the fancy fun stuff quickly.

Buy ready made 3D patterns and build your own library.
    The CarveWright doesn't appear to allow you to create your own patterns, but has a library of patterns and text.
    If you have a ShopBot, you are already way ahead of the CarveWright.

Which is what I think Gerald was saying when he pointed towards the website

...........Mike

The Carvewright is a big hunk of plastic. I think a lot of the money pays for their software, which makes it seem like a great, easy-to-use machine. The problem is that the clipart library is limited, and most people today think that kind of carving looks cheesey. Frankly, I think that machine is a $2000 joke.

If you want to easily carve out stuff from drawings, check out http://www.vectric.com/. It'll probably output to G-code which Shopbot 3 should be able to convert. A much more expensive route would be to get a hold of Artcam Pro. Better software, but at 10X the cost.

Take a look at www.vectorart3d.com. You can purchase 3d reliefs and with millwizard or with the inexpensive 3d carving software that vectric (www.vectric.com) is coming out with for vectorart3d you can carve the reliefs on your shopbot.

Has anyone here seen the carvewright in action. For the price it seems to do quite a bit. Just wondering about its durability and any other drawbacks

Keith,

Just a quick note to confirm that VCarve Wizard and PhotoVCarve both include a ShopBot postprocessor (inch & metric) that outputs a SBP toolpath file. So no need to save and convert g-code.

Thanks for the positive support.

12463.jpg

Tony

I just purchased both the Vectric products. They are both excellent. Don't under-estimate what can be done with a ShopBot and the Vectric software, both in creativity and profit. There are no bounds to what you will be able to accomplish.
    Earl

Well, I don't know about you guys, but the above Tony's post demonstrate quite interesting capabilities. The rendering make it very easy to sell projects...

carvewright drawbacks:
    Currently anable to adjust either feed or speed.
    Cannot setup your own bit geometries.
    3" max cut depth even with 5" max material acceptance.
    Software issues:
    Only able to use their pre-loaded carvings.
    Post processor is proprietary.
    Cannot import .eps or.dxf or any other line drawing. Just bitmaps for now. You Must create line drawings within their software package.
    Automated tabbing-means the tabs will just land where they land.If its on an inside corner get your rasp file out.
    Promising things I see.
    They do have a unique ability to drag and drop relief carvings, stretch, rotate and... the big kicker...weld multiple carvings together. As well as overlap and layer. They also have an o.k. bitmap to relief converter. Nothing that I think Tony couldn't handle...hint hint hint ;)

Bill