Thread: 5x10 or 4x8?

Default 5x10 or 4x8?

We are looking at getting another router & have been looking at a 5x10 machine. The 5x5 hardwood plywoods seem to fit our designs better & are much cheaper per foot than 4x8. Are the 5x5 panels going to be around awhile or would you recommend going with another 4x8 machine? Any other thoughts on the 5x5 or 4x8 subject would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you know what the answer would be. Buy the 5x10 for efficiency. That is what these machines are for!

I guess my concern is that the 5x5 will be phased out in the next few years. After speaking to our plywood supplier I got the impression that the 5x5 are cheaper because they are sort of "old school" and the 4x8 are more expensive because the mills have to upgrade to newer equipment. Not sure if that is true though.

In a couple years you will buy a second machine.

Tempo Carpentry & Design, INC, San Juan Capistrano California

My first machien was a 4 x 8. My 2nd was a 5 x 10. It came just at the right time in my growth and it has saved me many times on custom jobs.
    I dont think only of a 5-by sheet. Jobs often require a 5-by or 10-by length.
    Also, I realised with a 5 x 10 bed, I can leave the 4 x 8 bed open and still set up for long 10' thin stuff off to the side or carve on the 2 x 5 bed and not hog the capacity of trowing on a 4 x 8 at short notice to mill.
    If space and cost aint the priority, it is nice to have the extra capacity.
    Gabriel McKeagney

I would go with the 5x10 because then you have options you don't have with a smaller table similar to this:

35080.jpg
    You may not want to have a table like mine with a gulley in it but you would have the option of adding an indexer and laying a full 4x8 sheet of plywood without having to move the indexer.

The 5x5 material is actually the normal stuff. The only place the 4x8 stuff is sold is to the US. I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon. Plywood sales people have a way to exagerate a bit to try and sell you something. Don't believe all you here from salesmen.

I have a 5 x 10 and would really like a 8x10 machine as it would allow room to work on more than one project at a time.

Aaron,

I agree with Gabriel's reasons. My first, and only, machine is a 5x10. I have set up special hold-down jigs next to the 4x8 area. I can process 4x8's without the necessity of removing the jigs. And, I have done some custom 10' long stuff.

Charles

I also leave jigs on one side for monthly run of parts. I can cut 4x8 sheets from the other side and not come close to the jigs.

Aaron:

My 48 x 96 machine actually measures 65 x 120. In speaking to Ryan in support, he said that you could place a larger piece of plywood down but could not cut to the limits of 60 x 120 but would certain exceed 48 by 96.

SO the next question I have is where can we find 5 x 10 plywood? In the Boston area, I have not found anyone. My lumber yard is very good and they did not have a source either. The large hardwood folks said that 4x10 or 4x16 is what they can get...

Any thoughts?

I may end up scarfing with the machine to make what I need. I was also going to bolt the bottom sheet down and glue the second sheet on top so there is no screws... any thoughts of this?
    Thanks

Bob Condon