Thread: For any one considering buying

Blue Ridge Fabrication and Design, Jasper GA

Default For any one considering buying

We ran our Shopbot a lot in 2008. Actually, we've run it a lot since the day it was purchased in June of 2005. I considered several other manufacturers, some much more expensive that I had previous experience running, but settled on the shopbot. Why? The reviews I read on this forum and elsewhere, and the videos I found on the web of the Shopbot's running. I could see the table ran great and did exactly what I needed it to.

I was used to running a CNC table and knew what I needed. To me, the entry level tables that I was considering ($38k plus) from 3 or 4 other companies were over priced and offered little more for the extra money. I could buy 3 Shopbots for that and the only thing I would not have is a spindle for each table. Starting with the Porter cable and upgrading to a spindle when (if) needed made much more sense.

After the table arrived, was unpacked, assembled, and then ran for the first time I knew without a doubt we had made the right choice. It ran great and performed as needed. I once spent 4 weeks trying to get a CNC table from another company up and running - the companies technician spent 3 days on site (at a $1000 a day which was part of the original purchase price) for the initial setup and the next 3 and a half weeks on the phone and email sending me files back and forth to get the table online. Even after all that I spent a great deal of time regularly replacing blown control boards and fuses on the table. The Shopbot has been running like a champ since the day it was turned on.

We've cut a few thousand signs since then and moved the Shopbot to a larger location two times. If by the end of 2009 we get any busier - we'll buy a second larger table and move again. We mainly cut Signfoam but also a good bit of acrylic, PVC, MDO, cedar, and thin aluminum. The Porter cable router finally threw in the towel last month and I would say it did a good job - since it has been cutting pretty much 5-6 days a week for the last 3 plus years (we replaced the brushes a few times of course). We bought another Porter and will change out the bearings in the old one to have a backup. One day we might buy a spindle, or we might not.

Other than my wife's engagement ring - best purchase I ever made.

Larry - www.brfsigns.com

How in the hell did you paint those poppy seeds on that bagel? Beautiful work Larry, just beautiful.

Blue Ridge Fabrication and Design, Jasper GA

Hah! Thanks, Neville.

Very carefully - one seed at a time!

Excellent review.