We ran our Shopbot a lot in 2008. Actually, we've run it a lot since the day it was purchased in June of 2005. I considered several other manufacturers, some much more expensive that I had previous experience running, but settled on the shopbot. Why? The reviews I read on this forum and elsewhere, and the videos I found on the web of the Shopbot's running. I could see the table ran great and did exactly what I needed it to.

I was used to running a CNC table and knew what I needed. To me, the entry level tables that I was considering ($38k plus) from 3 or 4 other companies were over priced and offered little more for the extra money. I could buy 3 Shopbots for that and the only thing I would not have is a spindle for each table. Starting with the Porter cable and upgrading to a spindle when (if) needed made much more sense.

After the table arrived, was unpacked, assembled, and then ran for the first time I knew without a doubt we had made the right choice. It ran great and performed as needed. I once spent 4 weeks trying to get a CNC table from another company up and running - the companies technician spent 3 days on site (at a $1000 a day which was part of the original purchase price) for the initial setup and the next 3 and a half weeks on the phone and email sending me files back and forth to get the table online. Even after all that I spent a great deal of time regularly replacing blown control boards and fuses on the table. The Shopbot has been running like a champ since the day it was turned on.

We've cut a few thousand signs since then and moved the Shopbot to a larger location two times. If by the end of 2009 we get any busier - we'll buy a second larger table and move again. We mainly cut Signfoam but also a good bit of acrylic, PVC, MDO, cedar, and thin aluminum. The Porter cable router finally threw in the towel last month and I would say it did a good job - since it has been cutting pretty much 5-6 days a week for the last 3 plus years (we replaced the brushes a few times of course). We bought another Porter and will change out the bearings in the old one to have a backup. One day we might buy a spindle, or we might not.

Other than my wife's engagement ring - best purchase I ever made.

Larry - www.brfsigns.com