Thread: Any ideas?

Default Any ideas?

I'm trying to run a .sbp file that was created by a fellow shopbotter in Artcam Pro. When I try to run it, it crams all the lines of code on one line with each original line seperated by a box (symbol). I can go into editor and put in a blank line after each line of code and it works fine. Not bad on the file with 350 lines but the 20k line file is a little much. The file runs fine on Frank's (Shopbot) machine. It does the same thing on both computers I have setup with control software. Other files I have created work fine on both my machines.

If you can identify the ascii version of the "box" character, you may be able to use the find/replace function of Windows Notepad. Just replace that box with a carraige return.

This may help....http://www.lookuptables.com/

Good luck.

was it sent via email? if so, try having the sender zip it up before sending.

Sounds like the .sbp file might have been converted to a plain text file, those boxes are line breaks.

It was sent to me via email but I then forwarded to Frank from Shopbot and it worked fine. It seems to work everywhere but on my machines. I'm working on inserting blank lines between each line of code. Guess that's my only choice for now.

Did all the standard stuff. Deleted my config file, uninstalled and re-installed control software and rebooted the computer.

If I find a fix I'll post it in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Scott_H, I am suspicious of the "language" settings of the PC's involved. I get strange things like that when I open "normal" files in internet cafe's in strange parts of the world.

something is happening to it when you save it to disk out of your email client.

Before I set up my shop on a network, I emailed my files machine to machine to move things around, I quickly learned that text and postscript files sometimes did quirky things in the process of being emailed and downloaded, like what you describe, unless they were zipped up.

Have you tried having the sender zip it into a .zip file before sending?

Gerald, internet cafes, strange parts of the world? You're really James Bond aren't you? I knew it!.. ;)

Not sure this makes sense but sometimes when I save an imported file, my PC will automatically select a default file type. Lets say word for example. One needs to import the file and select the "all files" type in the lower menu bar before importing or saving and then it doesn't convert the file extension to another default type.
    Just a thought

Scott, I had the same problem before, trying to receive a post for a CAM program. You either have to have the file set to you zipped or you could try not opening the attached file, but right clicking on it and save target as. This will bring the file in it's natural state.
    Hope this helps, Carl

Thanks to everyone that responded. Those that suggested using a zip file get the door prize.

All is well and we're about to make our first pass at cutting this thing out.

Thanks again...the forum once again saves the weekend.

Scott