Thread: Z zeroing problem

Default Z zeroing problem

I'm having a consistent problem with my Z zeroing routine.After zeroing the Z axis using the SB zeroing program my Z axis will cut into my bleeder board when set at 0.
    I rechecked the thickness of my zero plate to make sure it was right and it was set properly.
    My X & Y axis are accurate so I figured my values are correct.
    Any ideas what this could be.

Thanks Brian

how far does it cut in? FYI, The value I have entered for my Zero Plate thickness is slightly more than the actual measured thickness. I wrote this off as the speed of electricity through metal and reaction time of the machine to sense the "touch" of the plate. Without going and looking again... I think my plate is .128 and my setting is .131

Robert

Robert
    I'm not 100% sure how far out the Z axis is.I know if I.m cutting .7 thick material and I set the Z to cut .68 it still cuts into the bleeder board.
    I will spend some time today and figure how far out my Z axis is.
    I thought about adjusting the thickness of my plate (.049) but was interested to know if there's a bigger problem that needs fixing

Brian

Brian
    My Z Plate is .124 and I make my settings at .128. I then use the keyboard menu (SK) and change the value of the Z to 0.00 and make certain that the bit is touching the table.
    The other thing that I look for is if I am using the table or the top of the material as the Zero point when I design a cut. Get those backwards and you will cut into the table.
    This should fix your problem.
    "Plenty of experience cutting into the table!"

Butch

Butch
    I Almost always set 0 from the top of the material
    so that is not the issue.
    I'll have to reset the thickness of the zero plate till it doesn't cut into the table

Brian

Your X and Y values can be spot on and your Z be out. I had the opposite problem today when I was trying my machine out for the first time. How I verified Z was put a flat bit in. Brought it down to touch the surface right at the edge of my table and zeroed Z. Then I jogged Z up almost as high as it could go (less margin of error.) I used my calipers to measure from the table to the bottom of the bit and checked it to the screen readout.
    If it is off you can divide your measurement by the screen readout. Open up your Values (VU) Multiply your Z by this number and change the Z unit. (probably should write down the original z number first) See if it cuts right.
    If your measurements were the same to begin with then I have no idea what-so-ever.
    You'll have to weigh my suggestion against the fact I am new, so I could be wrong, but this technique helped me get my X and Y correct.
    Rob

What about the thickness of the material you're cutting?

Is that a router equipped tool? Or is it a spindle? Router can sometime have end play on armature shaft... hopefully not spindle...

Try to find the lowest spot on you machine bed, zero the Z there and then make a large X 0.005" deep to study how planar the machine bed (spoilboard) is. It may be wrapping or swelling...