Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Halfs

Default Better Halfs

My husband wants a new toy, should it be the Buddy or a 48x96? any help is welcome for this housewife.
    Thank you for any advice.

Pam

when i buy a toy, i ask myself "what would she buy for me" and double it!!

seriously cnc's do not grow after purchase if there is potential for income from large signs and parts for others and you have the space and affordability then i would get the larger machine.

jim

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

If space allows go for the 96x48 alpha. Thats what i have and i have never regreted buying it. Then tell him you need a new kitchen , Bookcases ect....

Pam,

I would recommend the 96x48 alpha for a couple of reasons:

1. The larger bed allows you the opportunity to build larger things. An example is that I am going to build a headboard and foot board for a queen size and twin size bed from wood that I turned into lumber for the camp.

2. The larger bed allows you to put fixturing around the bed so that you can set up a "flexible manufacturing" machine to if you build 5 products, you can have the fixturing in place to build any of the 5 without going through setup.

The Buddy has a moving table which you need to have room to move so it takes up the same amount of space as the 96x48 alpha.

I believe, for me, the 96x48 alpha provide me many years of manufacturing into my senior life.

Good luck

As someone who's other half recently purchased one, I would find out exactly what he plans on using it for and the income potential. It doesn't make sense in this economy to go with big billy bad *ss if it's just being used for small things.

I don't think this type of purchase is something you can make without input from your husband and a clear idea of what he plans to do with it.

Good luck and make sure that whatever you do, Keep the fire dept. on standby!!

Well my standard answer to this type of question is...

"They will all do something cool".

But like Jax said above whats he gonna do with it? is the better question.

Pam, When I first looked at a ShopBot eight years ago I felt I could get by with the 48" model. After all it was just going to be for fun use. The first one I saw was the PRT-48, there were no Buddy units being made way back then. I took Jo-Anne to see another one in action one day that was a PRT96. While I was still not really sold on the idea of getting one, she was. I asked her what size and she said to get a quote for the PRT96. I have never regretted the decision to go with the larger machine. If you have the room I would say to go with the 48x96.

I suggest taking a look at what he plans to do with it.

Is he a cabinet maker? The he needs full size.
    Is he a tinkerer? Then the buddy will do just fine.

Pam, I agree to find out what he likes or might be using the machine for. If he has the space the 48x96 is nice to have but then the buddy can also use the powerstick. I debated on 48x48 before buying my machine and went for the 48x96 standard. Also the alpha is nice but if speed is not an issue the standard should be fine. I cut signs and cabinet parts with my standard and it works great. I am glad I did not go for the smaller machine as I have needed the full table for larger stuff. Perhaps go with him to see a few machines both buddy and full size and talk to the guys running them. One thing is for sure, buy shopbot. Outstanding company and product.

You should go to a class with your husband so you can see what the machine is, what it can do... and they give out free peanuts also!

Bob