Thread: Mentioning your bot to clients

Default Mentioning your bot to clients

So I am in the beginning stages of using my PRS Alpha for cabinet building. So far its going really well. The time savings is amazing. So anyway I recently had a short discussion with my wife, then my brother about telling clients on a first visit that I use a CNC router in production. Neither thought the client needed to know. I thought the opposite and could only help in the sell. I made a couple of samples to take along to show some of its capabilities. I see it as a huge advantage and most shops couldn't make the same claim. Any thoughts?

For direct sell clients (end users) it can be a two edged sword. Businesses generally want to know and understand the value.

Some people "get it". It represents commitment and a unique level of expertise on your part. They can depend on accurate work with repeatable results and you can be competitive in the market.

Some people don't get it. They think a CNC makes stuff so easy you throw trees in one side and furniture comes out the other. They don't respect what you do since it's "machine made" and a monkey could do it. They are often under the impression you are ripping them off when you quote your prices since you obviously have so little effort invested.

I do not mention the CNC casually. I say what I make and that I make them in my own shop. If I mention the CNC it depends on my ongoing relationship and if I see any value in it.

For business to business work, I think advertising you have a CNC is more appropriate.

/RB

I have been showing samples of 'my' work and getting orders based on the fact of quick turnaround and good quality, nothing is ever said about what tools I use or even how I can get the job done so quick. I believe that if THEY have NO working knowledge of cnc and YOU tell them you can make it on a machine, they will want it at a cheaper price! Like making copies at the copy center! I just give them the samples, give them a price, and give them a delivery date. Its like the posts regarding pricing based on what machine they have???? If I have a customer that I quoted a price of $100 per unit and they are satisfied with that, and I upgrade my equipment to make the parts twice as fast should I reduce my price because I can now make them quicker? I don't think so! I really think the samples and the quality plus speed with which you can get the job done is the ticket, who cares how you make 'em!

So far it has worked out pretty good. I have been botting for 4 months and have picked up a couple of new accounts each week. Several are repeat corporate customers. Good luck in your business, these are 'exciting' times!
    Russ

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Russ,
    You hit the nail square on the head. I have told a friend about my bot and he said the exact thing you said. Well if all you have to do is throw it on a machine then it wont cost but a few bucks , RIGHT?
    Needless i did NOT do that job. Because i have invested in the equipment and knowledge to streamline a job it doesnt make it cheaper, just faster and easier for me and my helper to get it completed. Thats how i compete in this marketplace thru efficiency.

When i discuss my bot or what it takes to cut a file I overexaggerate the the file creation process whether it be 2D or 3D and explain how long it takes to create the file and cutting it is only half the process.

Many times it takes longer to create a file then it does to cut it and you should be paid for both.

I'm certainly with Russ on this one.

I was talking with Ron, my assistant, about making up letter samples, to give our prospective clients. The website is definantely a good sales tool but the samples are more important.

We discussed how easy it would be to cut an extra letter or two while doing a job. Throw that in the sample box. I don't paint or prep my sample pieces to give away. I truly believe a person can make a business with those little free samples.

I agree with Joe. I V-carved a lumberyard salespersons name and the company logo in a scrap piece of PVC. He displays it at his work station and I'm still getting business from it two years later. Samples sell products.

Paul Z

the product is there business , the business is my product.

jim
    38611.jpg

I don't usually tell my Homeowner clients about my CNC.
    But, I do tell my interior designers and contractor clients All about the possibilities of CNC.
    Paul is right on-I make samples and give them out to them.Personalized carved logos and signs are great selling points.
    I also take their business cards/scan them and import them into Partworks and make personalized
    carved signs or plaques.
    I have started to make cutting boards with the client's name with a V carved design I have a file of.
    They have all flipped over them!
    Oh ,yes I include my business name and phone # on each piece.

In addition,No one but ME knows how easy all this
    is to do.

Erminio

Well I'm glad I posted this question. I certainly see the everyone's point. Though I haven't been in front of too many new clients lately (gee I wonder why) I'll certainly be keep the bot a secret... thanks