Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were starting over

Default If you were starting over

If you guys had a SB arriving in 6 weeks, how would you spend your time preparing yourself?
    AutoCAD (and other software) I use every day.
    I have never used (or even seen) a CNC set up.

bjwat@comcast.net Guest

Buy bits, pink foam, your spoilboard material, glue and plenty of coffee.

Make sure that your electrical is ready to go and that you have enough light above the Bot.

Also, make sure that you leave at least 24" on each side of the assembled frame after it is squared up.

-Brady

Download the main SB software (sb233sx.exe) and run it on your PC. Then you have the operating console and can start "virtual" cutting. The preview screen will tell you if the tool moved as expected.

Build your table.

Select your router and get a couple of bits.

In your case, because you are an AutoCAD bloke, make simple drawings in dxf format and feed it to your "virtual" console. See if you can get your dxf's understood by the SB software.

Download and print out the User's Manual so that you have some bed time reading.

Oh, and get some inch-sized spanners (wrenches)

papadaveinwy Guest

Mike, Gerald forgot one thing, read a couple books on self control and patience. After all their is a learning curv. at least you don't have to spend hours upon hours upon hours learning vector just to use it for a frizzzzzzbie. David in Wyoming.

David, if I could legally get those Vector "frizzzzzzbies" for free, I would make a fortune re-selling them to anybody who already knows CAD and can produce a dxf file. My marketing and support would take an entirely different approach though. The main requirement is that the buyer is already proficient in a CAD program - any CAD program, as long as it can produce dxf's. But, the Vector vendor forbids the re-selling of their program.

Yes, patience and self-control are essential. ShopBot does not give you a "one box solution". (In fact, we received 7 seperate boxes)

Gentlemen, if you want to talk about patience and self control, then you need to have a joined me at a meeting I had this morning with government officials here in Thailand.
    The thought of returning to wood, and having something being created in my hands (via the SB) is the only thing keeping me going!
    Thanks for the advice, I will follow your steps.
    Um! What is the pink foam for?
    Wrenches? who said we were a people seperated by a common language?
    Mike

papadaveinwy Guest

Gerald' not trying to totaly knock Vector but I have used AutoCad for years,long befor I got my bot 3 years ago I use to do digital controls for smarthomes and office buildings Used AutoCad for the drawings had no proublems with that. It's just that the guys at vector approched the design of the software with the insite of a machineist (from their perspective). not all of us are into thinking like that. so the program is hard for many a Botter that is why so many use simple programs like tubo cad etc.I know that it is a great program once you learn it. just I didn't have the time and could not re-adjust my thinking fast enough.I have played with the program over the years and have become fairly good with it but for most of my design work Ve LXI Pro and corel draw does fine and a lot faster I can out put a sign design into a dxf in a matter of min.then let the shopbot converter do the rest.David in Wyoming

David, we don´t want to go too far off this thread, and repeat what has been said over and over again, but I am with you 98% of the way! There is not a snowball´s hope that I will design in Vector, I am (and was) way too experienced in AutoCAD to attempt that.

My only point of difference with your post is where you say "then let the shopbot (dxf) converter do the rest". For our work, the SB dxf converter is not enough, and that is where we use Vector. Can I suggest that we discus the use of Vector (or any other CAM program, like Parts Wizard for that matter) over in the thread that I linked to? I reckon that we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we dump the "freebie" CAM programs that were supplied with the SB.

Once again, thanks for the interest.
    As far as pirate software is concerned, you can certainly by everything for about$3, in a mall 7 stories high!
    However, it's one thing buying it and using it in Thailand, quite another thing taking it through customs. And I understand a Bangkok jail 'aint a nice place. I have used AutoCad, amongst others, for may years, so I am pretty experienced, but I would guess many of the more sofisticated features are probably unnecessary for the SB. From what I'm reading here and in the user manual (you see, I do take your advice!) technique for CNC files seems equally as important as the software.
    As I seem to be taking from this group, and not giving (I know as much about the shopbot as I do about Nepalese goat herding), what I can give is input on Cad, and particularly AutoCad if it is needed. As Graham says, another thread though.
    And Gerald, it was actually Fishhoek!
    I am still intrigued what the pink foam is for!
    And, how do you do those smiley faces?
    Mike

Can I change the preview 'cut' speed?