Thread: Detailing Sanders...

Default Detailing Sanders...

Hey everyone. We're looking for a better and faster way to sand complex edges and those little regions and bits when doing signs and such. Right now we've got a Festool 6" orbit sander that we love for big stuff. We need something for the small stuff. All the detail sanders we've tried in the past just don't do a better job than a sanding block and elbow grease, but then we've only tried cheap ones in the past. Prior to ordering another Festool (but this time a detail sander) or a Fien Multi-master, can I get some options on detail sanding and sanders from those out there? Is there something other than the 'triangle paper'' style of detail sanders that's better for edges and pockets?

(as you can tell we're not much in the woodworking department...LOL)

If you are not going to be using the Multi-Master as a scraper or cutoff tool, you could get the equivalent sanding capabilities from a porter-cable profile sander (for a lot less money) that comes with 6 or 8 edge profiles as well as the triangle edge. I have both and use interchangeably for sanding, however as you mentioned, nothing beats elbow grease.

I agree with BTK the fein Multi-master is great for this porpose and a whole lot more. I have one in the shop and one on eash of my 2 trucks in the field.

Nitto Kohki makes a mini inline sander.

http://www.nittokohki.com/en/displaycontent.asp?ID=71

You can get thick foam pads for it to create custom profiles.

Then there's these guys.

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/The_Sanding_Mop.php

Dremel has a sanding 'sponge' that works well. It looks like a small scruffy pad and comes in different grits.

When used in a hand chuck it gets in tight without sanding down detail.

da