Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More mechanical wooden silliness

It looks like the sphincter in the machines from the War of The Worlds with Tom Cruise.

I don't mean that in a disrespectful way....If aliens used an aperture to seal out space.....
    I digress.

o Be a killer top for a trash can?
    o It could be advertised as an accoutrement to a women's restroom door. Might be a good seller to the yoots of our nation?
    o It could hide a mirror?
    o Frame a corian carved lithopane?
    o A photography store would have to own one!

;-)

Only you, Chuck, would see a sphincter...

mike

Chris, I guess I have to ask to be put in line for a dxf file for that gadget. I'm of the vintage that I actually used large format cameras with iris shutters. That is so cool.

Donn

I would like to be on the list too! I'd like to maybe use it as a box top for one of my boxes.

Donn,

I still have some of those cameras! I'm going to have a photography museum one of these days. I think I have about 1500 cameras right now...

No problem gents, I am posting the DXF.

WARNING---let me say this though.

on a completeness scale of 1-10 this is at most a 2-3. Definitely a prototype, It works but not well yet. This is the very first physical try of the concept.

So, just be warned the drawing at this point is really just to illustrate the idea. It needs tweaking to work.

I had to gang up the leaves and sand them slightly on my disc sander till they fit right. I still need to figure out allowances for friction and a few other finicky bits. I also need to add a chase in the substrate so the bolts have somewhere to turn, as you can see now the bolts are sticking up because there is nowhere to put a nut on. I also need to come up with some sort of retaining ring for the outer bearings, because right now it only works laying flat on the table.

Note: the tiny circles are not accurately dimensioned, they are just to indicate drilling points (drill holes for whatever bolts you use.
    The drill points on the 5 outside tabs are based on some .75 bearings I happened to have. modify as you need.

I have a number of ideas on how to improve this now that I have proof of concept. And I will post as I work it through, as there seems to be some interest. I figure about 3-4 more tests and I might actually have something.

of course if any of you do something cool with this... please post and give details. together we can come up with something really tight.

Chris

www.schaie.com/shopbot/IRIS_12in_prototype_01.zip

PS due credit has to go to Michael Cosgriff aka "Robo Von Bismark" over on the brassgoggles.uk forum for the original idea

That looks like the apature on a Haasablaad camera, or one of those big box type cameras that Ansel Adams used to use. Chris do you use your bot for business or hobby? I imagine the design took more time then the cutting. How many revisions till you got it right? Very cool!

Hey Jack,

At this point about half and half. I had a couple of well paying jobs that I knew the bot would make possible when I bought it. (justified the expense) But of course now I am having wayyy too much fun with it to just do corbels and rosettes. I mostly do one-off jobs making interesting things. Some for people who can pay - sigh.

and as to revisions... probably about 4 more ;-)

Chris

Motorize it so it slowly opens and closes over a minute or two, repeatedly. Paint it black and then sell it to camera stores as novelty decoration.

Excellent work!

Wow! Keep us up to date as you refine it. I can see one on the door of every shopbotters shop eventually. We'll be able to identify cnc shops just by seeing the front door.

I don't think the Postal Service has the same sense of humor I do.

Most of my art ideas revolve around mail boxes.
    Chris's work could be something out of Jules Verne 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. The "mouth" or "beak" of the great sea monster that threatened the crew. Or the postal worker? ;-)

50199.jpg