Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: More mechanical wooden silliness

Default Corrected Iris

I apologize for sharing a bad file. The bolt holes in the base were wrong. I evidently snapped the holes off center when I rearranged the drawing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default New dxf and dwg saved compatable to Acad R14

I re-saved these compatable to AutoCAD R14. I removed duplicate parts in the dwg file to make it small enough to upload.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Chris - You mentioned above that you would post your latest cut files when you had them cleaned up. I am still interested in them, if they are ready. Thanks.

Default mobile iris?

Chris,
    I'm not sure if you are driving, or flying up to the Camp/Maker Faire, but if you ARE driving, and you have some room in your vehicle, I think everyone would really like to see this piece in person ! If not, please bring pix!
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Bill, Ill be flying in, but it should fit in my suitcase. I'll bring it.

I might take the oppourtunity to ask around though if there is anyone who might be in the area that morning that could give me a ride with it to the gate. Last year I walked from my hotel, and it will be a pain to carry.

Stone Vill Inn San Mateo
    2175 S El Camino Real

Brad, sorry I just need to merge several seperate files into one comprehensive one. Right now it is split up into a bunch of chunks to better utilize the brass I have on hand and wouldnt make much sense to anyone but me. But I promise I will as time allows.

Chris
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Default Camp in San Mateo

Chris I have sent you a PM via this forum.
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

I got to see the 'portal' in person at Maker Faire and well let's just say it was a real hit! Great job! Russ

If you all hadn't heard yet, this Iris mechanism won an editor's choice award yesterday at the San Mateo Maker's Faire. One of the "best of the fair" ribbons. Got a lot of great press.

It was picked up by BoingBoing.net in their tech blog. And it is looking like I might be able to sell them through the BoingBoing Bazaar.

I am deeply indebted to everyone here who contributed to make this design better (and a reality at all).

Thanks everyone.
    Chris
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Make sure that those that contributed to the design get their 2 pennies per sale commission! That is very cool Chris...good job.

so i was stoked when i saw it on gizmodo, linked over to the site and downloaded the dxf files from the first page, editing them a bit to fit into my laser with the acrylic that i have and started cutting the pieces out, then i came back to read the rest of the post like a dum dum, and realized i downloaded the early files, lol.

well heres what i got from those first files, im going to try to finishing tweaking the newer design and cut it out this week or next. but for now heres my first go at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0y_uNoYqWM