Thread: Learning GUI4CLI

Default Learning GUI4CLI

Recently, in my sparse time I started playing around with a nice little FREE language/development environment called GUI4CLI. I think it has quite a bit of potential for the ShopBot community. It makes it very easy to create nice little event driven GUI (graphical user interface) for TOOLS programs or even maybe ProjectWizards eventually.

It comes complete with a little editor, and lots of exemples. It's got a great feature where GUIs can be finetuned BY THE USER (when it is not locked) simply by resizing or moving the widgets around. (control-rightclick on a widget and move it). You can even move the gadgets from one mini-application to another. In this way, a simple elegant WYSIWYG drag & drop interface builder becomes possible without using too much brain realestate.

Why not VisualBasic or other "serious" languages?
    I think GUI4CLI might be seen as a step up from the partfile programming language but not as involved as a more advanced RAD platform like VisualBasic, RealBasic, Runtime Revolution and others.

I also think it would make a nice simple environment for teaching and demonstration purposes, (thinking about futur Programming Camp) where beginners can get results fairly kwickly. When GUI4CLI becomes to constraining for the programmer, the concepts learned translate well to these other RAD.

It can also be expanded quite easily by a more advanced programmer. So if we find it has potential, but that it is lacking some very important features ("events"), these could be added. I seriously think its got enought qualities to make it into a semi-official TOOLS language.

In any case, it seems worthwhile to kick it around a bit to see how and when it could be usefull. I started with the basics; ie input fields, drawing (found a bug in the ARC command, but should be corrected soon), sending files to the Shopbot control software...

I could go on, but just try it you'll see what I mean.

Here is the link:
    http://users.hol.gr/~dck/g4c/

Chears,

PS Here is an simple exemple:

6337.jpg

Here is the code(unfortunatly without indentations and syntax coloring):

G4C RectangleSB

/* ================================================== =============
    Description:This is a small gui that lets you define a rectangle and draws it at the center of the gray viewing area.

Jean-François,
    Interesting....Now did you have to type in all of the 'Attr' lines, or were they generated by some sort of wizard? Kinda reminds me of C/MFC if that is the case.

I like VB for the simple fact that there is so much support out there for it & it is event driven, just like the Windows platform itself. Chances are if you think of something that you need to code, someone else has too ~ and will most likely post the code for you to download and hack to your liking.

-Brady

Brady,
    Yes... and no, When you do the drag & drop the ATTRibutes are not copied, but I did most of it by cuting & pasting. Plus if I continue to use it, I'll use an editor with a "clip pad". Also, it would be fairly easy to make your own wizards. I think all the widgets needed are there. There is an exemple that shows a window with an atributes selector and you see the changes applied on the fly. The code could then be sent to the clipboard and then pasted where ever you like.

I am not suggesting that GUI4CLI should replace VB or any other advanced IDE. Especially for seasoned programmer who already know one or many languages.

However, there is an immediacy in GUI4CLI that might appeal to Shopboters who have tried a bit of parts file programming and are ready for a little more... but not too much.

JF

If someone wants to try it, dowload the beta version. The bug in the Arc command has been fixed.

Hello, I m new,
    With Gui4cli, Can i acces the LPT port?
    How? Read and write LPT, parallel port?
    Maths, there are differential and integral calculus?
    Please excuseme for my english, is speak spanish
    livionicoliello@adinet.com.uy
    Thanks a lot