Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window grilles?

Default Window grilles?

I build these carriage house overhead doors for a local overhead door company. I bought a shopbot 1 1/2 yrs ago, and I'd love to use it to make these curved top window grilles for these doors. It would save me hours of work if I could put a sheet of goods on the table, program the grille into the computer, and let the bot do it.

About half of these doors I build are cvg red cedar left natural, so I have to build those grilles by hand. For the painted doors, a dissimilar material would work since it'll be painted.

What would be a good material that comes in sheet goods to cut these out of? My first thought was pvc (Azek), but the muntins are about 3/4" wide and I wonder if they would deflect when being machined.

I tried to attach an image of the doors, but the file size 80kb and the allowable upload size is 50kb. The file is a pdf. How do I re-size it so I can upload it?

Thanks,

Jim

You can copy & paste into PAINT. Then size as needed. Save as J-PEG.

Jim,
    go to www.xat.com and download "jpeg optimizer"
    its free it will let you lower the kilobyte size of your pictures while allowing you to keep the deminsions large enough to view.

39069.jpg

This is a typical curved-top door I'm referring to. I make matching inner and outer grilles and sandwich the glass in between. At present, I cut the radius (usually about 12') for the top piece of the grille out of a 1x6, then stick-build the rest of the grille. After all the parts are glued/screwed together, I run a router around the inner edges to give it some detail. The time savings would be huge if I could cut the whole grille out of sheet goods, but before experimenting, I just wondered what the best material would be...extira, pvc (Azek), mdo etc.

Jim

Here are a few photos of a grill we cut out of Azek for patio doors. We used 1/2" thick Azek and the grill bars are 3/4" wide. We done all the profiling cuts first leaving a .04 skin on the bottom. We then came back with a 1/8" cutter and cut the grill out but still left tabs in order to keep the bars from bowing.

39180.jpg

39181.jpg

Sam

I'm very curious about the use of the term "Grille" here. I work for a vinyl window & door manufacturer on the west coast, and we always have referred to them as "grids". Is this an east coast/west coast terminology thing like sash/vent?

g.

I'm on the east coast and i've always heard them called "grilles". But if you were to put that design to a piece of paper I would call it a grid. So i'm sure it is just a interchangable term.
    "You say potato, i say po-tot-oe.....

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

We just like to throw shrimp on ours grille around here

But then we also call it a barbie!

Grids or grilles, same thing around here. Everyone nows what you're talking about. To me a grille is a removeable piece whereas a grid is built into a window fixed in place between the glass.

Sam,

That's exactly what I'm aiming to do. At what point did you put the routed edge on the grilles? I hadn't thought about tabs, but I have used them before so I can see how they would help. But with a tab in the way, I don't see how the 'bot could put the routed edge on. When I build these by hand, I stick build them then run an ogee bit with a bearing around the inside edges. I suppose I could just do the profile cut on the 'bot then router the edges by hand.

Thanks,

Jim

Seems to me the routed edge would just be a V-bit run first to get the chamfered edge and then a straight bit to cut the Grilles out. I do this on MDF letters all the time to get that same look.

-D