Thread: Lost home position - can I get back!

Default Lost home position - can I get back!

I was cutting a sign in the middle of the table ( or so ) Roughed out a pocket with a 3/8th,then used a 1/4 to clean up the letters, all was fine, then I was closing in with a 1/8 and lost com - spindle stopped moving. Got 2 retry errors - lost comm.SB3 closed. I restarted went to start position but 0,0 was off by an inch or so. Nearly finished the trial too! How can I find that original 00 to make the last cuts? This is the first time I ever lost comm. TIA Neville

If the working offset coordinate were not written down, I'm afraid it's lost forever... sorry.

If you want to make your life easier, assuming it just can't be perfect, make sure the working coordinates are noted in some fashion before running file(s).

Basically you can do this by typing UV command and taking note of the X & Y Base coordinate offset # axis. This is assuming that you are zeroing the X & Y before running the file. For this to work the tool a reliable calibration system with the proximity switches.

Whenever I work with my tool, I need to know that the TBC coordinate are set from the X & Y zeroing routine that zero everything (Z3 + ZT). Once I know I can thrust my coordinates, I can zero the working coordinates and write down the offsets so I can recover a failure such as the one that happen to you. I actually made a routine that write it to a file from the custom cut C5. I have tested my proximity/TBC zeroing system and I know I can be back to work within some +/- 0.0025" whatever happen.

On few occasions I have recover and help to recover projects by studying the toolpath code, the CAD/CAM file and the partly machined material. The idea is to find a spot that can be track to the most "exact" coordinates, set the position to the toolpath coordinates line and resume the cut.

This is not the first time I answer that one so I could make a post on my blog about how I handle this sort of issue... think I should?

That has happened to me several times till i grounded my dust collection system, but what it taught me was, when i set up a new file to cut I set my material where i want it. Then i do a C3 to find my 0,0. Then i move carriage over to where my 0,0 point is on material. I usually create it in the center of material. I write down the x,y coordinates. Then i zero my x,y to that spot. If for some reason i lose position i can go back to C3 and then move carriage to those written coordinates. Others do basically the same thing with the offset command, but you know the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"..well thats why i do it the way i do..
    As for finding your original point I have asked that before and based on my problem at the time i was never able to do that till i started C3ing first.

Paco beat me to the answer while i was typing. He says it a little more eloquently(?) then me but i think we get to the same place ultimately.

Paco,

And the wiki!

Hey Neville,

I don't recommend re-zeroing all over the table if you can help it...you're better off keeping your 0,0 point at the corner of the table. If you want to cut something in the middle of the table, move to the place you want to start the file and then call the file in 2d Offset mode instead of rezeroing. Offset mode is one of the options in the FP commands and acts like a temporary rezeroing without losing track of the "real" zero locations.

Then all you need to do is write down the coordinates of the place you started the file and you can alway go back to the same place, and since the coordinate display will always show the "real world" coordinates of your table, you'll always have a good sense of where you are on the table and how much room you have all around for placing blanks, etc.

It's just a personal preference but I think it makes things easier.

Bill

p.s. have you decided about going to the Florida Camp?