Thread: Porter Cable or Spindle? What do you have?

Default Porter Cable or Spindle? What do you have?

I know this has probably been discussed about 50,000 times but I did a search and can't find anything similar.

I am considering purchasing a ShopBot and paying for it outright. I have a limited budget for this. Talking to the ShopBot folks made me nervous because he said the PC won't hold up. I can either buy ArtCam Insignia or a spindle but not both.

We are primarily a sign company and cut mostly SignFoam, MDO & PVC. But we do on occasion make some furniture using MDF or yellow pine.

Will I be able to get by with the PC for a while or am I dreaming?

Which do you use and for what type of work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Amy

The Porter Cable holds up fine.

If you buy the new PRT Alpha, you won't be able to cut as fast as a spindle could cut, but how much of a hurry are you really in? Even cutting at the slower speeds a router would handle, it's lots faster than doing anything by hand.

There are probably way more shopbotters using the Porter Cable or other routers than there are using spindles, due to the cost difference. (This would be on the PRT machines)

I have a PRT with a Porter Cable and it cuts fast enough to break bits. If you get the PRT Alpha and a Porter Cable, you will be cutting at speeds similar to the PRT but you can still jog (with cutting bit in the up position)at much faster speeds than a PRT so you will have time savings there.

There is nothing wrong with starting out with a router and later on getting a spindle.

Weellllll, that depends. Ask yourself how much work do you really have and of what type. We put over 5,000 hours on our PRT, recently upgraded to Alpha,in two years. We cut over 50,000 parts the first year and will close to double that this year. A PC would never hold up to that. You also have much looser bearing tolerances on the PC. This will effect part tolerances and edge quality a small amount and depending on the work you do might or might not matter.

The PC is louder if sound levels matter in your shop.

As for software you probably don't need Artcam Pro unless you plan on doing lots of 3D carving. We cut basic signs for sign shops all the time generating code out of Insignia.

Also consider your hold down system in your pricing. We need a 15 hp pump because we cut lots of material at wide open speeds. Smaller pumps can be used but at slower speeds, There is also the screw down and clamp approach which for some situations works fine, for others not at all.

The PC's have their place but don't ignore the spindles either. It's going to depend on what you realy need the machine to do.

There are also several people that write toolpaths for people when it is something more than parts wizard can handle. Just something to keep in mind.

Remember, a CNC setup is a system made up of components. Not just the basic machine. Consider the Machine itself, the cutting tool (spindle or PC), the tooling used for cutting (you'll have alot to learn there, these are not just your standard router bits), the hold down system, the computer that runs it all and the software used to generate code. ALL of these components are important and need to be considered in light of the work you'll ask of it. There is no cut and dried answer for all situations.

Eric

Amy,
    You should be fine with a PorterCable and Insignia on the Alpha. Again, you will not be able to run as fast as the Aplha is capable of moving...BUT you will still be able to cut as quickly as a PRT or quicker. Yes, there is more run-out in the PC bearings and it is many times louder than a spindle. If you are making 1-off signs and letters, you probably don't really need the duty of the Colombo. The colombo will however allow you to cut a greater variety of materials cleaner, faster and without burning in certain woods.

Invest in the software for sure. It is the software and your ability to use it that will make the difference in your business.

I bought my ShopBots out of pocket and had many of your same concerns. I have a Colombo 5HP on my machine, but know many botters that are doing well with the PorterCable.

Get the software..make the money...buy a spindle.

-Brady

Hi Amy,
    We are also a sign company ...we cut sign foam ,PVC and MDF with the Porter Cable with NO problems....Its about 2 1/2 yrs old but we probably use our table about 15 to 20 hrs a week average.
    As far as Insignia...that would be my suggestion as how to spend the bucks...its VERY quick learning curve .
    I bought a second Porter Cable as a backup...its still in the box...
    Dave

Thanks for the replies and emails. I'm feeling fine with the Porter Cable choice for now. It's not like I'm making rockets here. I'm not a big time production shop so speed is not real important right now. It will still be faster than if I did it by hand and had to make patterns and use jigsaws!!

Undecided on the software as of yet. May go with ProfileLab or Insignia. Might just use Parts Wizard a while. We'll see!

Thanks again!

gene@marshallsmillwork.com Guest

Hi Amy,
    there is one more aspect of the PC that no one has hit upon.
    Maintenance.

the Porter cable needs to have its brushes changed each month and bearings changed every 90 days or so.

these routers will break your heart if they quit in the middle of a project.

we have 5 PC shopbots in our shop with a few backup units.

we often change out the router when we suspect repair is due, then we can service a few routers all at once on the bench instead of on the BOT.

Feel free to call us @ 732-899-4458.

we also offer toolpaths for sale.
    good luck
    gene marshall
    www.marshallsmillwork.com