Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long pause screws up work, and programing question

Hi David. That would not work for me as I needed to test more than one condition to trigger a single event. Testing the vars in "isolation" would not get me what I needed in this case.

I was hoping that Ted and Gary were saying above that it was possible to test multiple conditions that would trigger a single action by using some sort of multi-line syntax.

That would be great to have on a wish list for the control SW.

Here's an example of one way to do your test.

IF &y < 3 THEN GOTO True_y
    GOTO Continue
    True_y:
    IF &x < 5 then GOTO True_both

Continue:
    'Your main stuff or a GOSUB Here
    END

True_both:
    GOSUB Skip
    END

Howie,

Did you try it or are you just assuming it won't work? I think this is one version of the multi-line syntax they are referring to.

I am assuming in this case that &xcount and &ycount will be integers (whole numbers, not fractions); if that is not correct you'd have to change the equations a little but the logic should still work.

Let's look at the logic of each line:

If &xcount > 2 Then GOTO Next

In this case if &xcount is 0, 1 or 2 (ie, less than 3) then control will pass to the following line, but if &xcount is 3 or more the following line will be bypassed and the file will continue with the 3rd line, the "Next:" label.

If &ycount < 5 then GOSUB skip

This line only tests the &ycount variable, but this line will never be evaluated unless the &xcount variable is less than 3 due to the If/Then in the first line.

So the first two lines, taken together, do the same logic test as what you wanted in your original post, "if &xcount < 3 and &ycount < 5 then GOSUB skip"

I hope this makes sense. Ted beat me to the post but unless I am mistaken my three lines will do the same thing as what he posted. In programming, as in ShopBotting, there is always more than one way to make something work.

Decomposing a multi-conditional test works. Most compilers don't perform the 2nd conditional test if the first conditional test fails. Why should it? (meaning:if "this" AND "that". if "this" OR "that" decomposes differently.)

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I used this fact to construct a precompiler for Basic language that didn't support conditional looping, ElseIf, Case statements, or most other sophisticated conditional structures that are commonplace today.

David, Ted-

Thanks much for the examples...those make sense now that I have had a chance to mess with it for a bit.