Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue or no glue under spoil board?

Default Glue or no glue under spoil board?

I have been using my vac table for a while now and my motto is always if it aint broke dont fix it. It has been holding well.

My setup is; plywood bolted to steel table frame, MDF plenum sealed with polyurethane and glued to plywood, Trupan spoilboard surfaced both sides and just laying on the plenum.

Couple things I have been wondering.. I never glued or siliconed my spilboard to the plenum. I felt that I didnt want to mess up the pretty plenum by glueing the spoilboard down. It has always stayed put, and is super simple to replace.. I re-plane it smooth until it's about 1/4" thick and then toss it off. Am I missing or risking something in regards to not glueing down the spoilboard?

I've also never sealed the edges of any of my spoilboards. I am sure I have some loss at the edges but I didnt like the idea of running duct tape around the edge as I was reading. I have some epoxy paint leftover from a job.. as long as it sticks, would that be good for sealing the edges? The reason I ask is that I remember I had to recoat the plenum 4-5 times with poly before I was comfortable it was sealed.

Thanks

John get some silicone caulk and apply it to the edges. It forms a rubbery seal and closes off any airflow. It will help your suction increase.
    Paint will just be sucked into the edges and won't seal as well as the silicone.

I followed Brady's tip on this an used HVAC Foil tape. Seals the perimeter and holds everything together very well.

John, I don't have a vacuum setup on my SB yet and I like the convenience you have of replacing your spoil board. But, not everything I do can be held down by vacuum (may be held by screws, clamps, etc) so in that case do you have to run the vacuum anyway to keep a consistent Z?

Donn

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Jack and John offer good advise , also what i did was to use the bot to drill a series of holes thru the spoilboard into the plentium for wood dowells. This keeps the spoilboard from shifting and the dowells can be machined smooth .When you want to replace the spoilboard just run the drill file and it drills out the old dowells for new ones. You will be amazed at the suction you are loosing by not sealing the edges.

THe only thing I would say is, tube of silicone $1.50, roll of foil tape $10.00, you do the math, lol.

John, I have exactly the same set up with one addition. I cut a .031" deep x .250" dado around each zone on the plenum. Then place .062" x .25" gasket tape from Allstar Gaskets in the grooves to isolate each zone between the plenum and the spoil board as much as possible. The gasket tape compresses that extra .031 proud gasket height when the vac is on so its flat to the plenum. It doesn't prevent vacuum from going through the spoil board laterally but does tend to help contain as much as possible vertically up to the top of the spoil board within each zone when its turned on.
    End result is lay on an ultra light spoil board surface both sides, then resurface alternating sides to reduce cupping and abuse it until its about 1/4" to 1/8" thick, toss it and start fresh with a new 3/4" spoil board as needed.
    No glue, no silicone, no messing around when changing over.
    Works 4 Me for 3 years so far and I can't believe I delayed making a vac system for 2 years. I'll never go back to mechanical hold downs. When I do need mechanical assist, I lay down a sheet of melimine and screw the piece to it so the vac holds the melimine and screws hold the part to the melamine. No screws ever go into the spoil board.

I like Gene's idea best. The dowels is a brillant idea. I don't know about the foil tape costing $10; maybe $5, but its the time savings which count for me. My plenum and spoilboard are all in one. Mill the grid on one side then flip it over. Again, I'll give credit to Brady W. for that one. Easy allows 1 Fien vac to hold a sheet of ply or whatever and cut all the way through.

Hi Has anyone heard of an air gun that shoot plastic nails. I am a new to all this and just got my bot 60 x 120 Prs A. A friend of mind came over with one. so I shot plenum with that. It shoot plastic finishing nail. I found the bot cut them off and you can't even see then or find them after that. the name of the gun is omer susegana. I have gone to there site but can't seem to find the gun that shoot the nails or the nails. I ask my friend and he doesn't know eather. the person the got it for the school he work is no longer their. It great for holding thing down.

John, I have a setup similar to Jerry's, but my Allstar gasket is thicker. I've been thinking about glueing or screwing the plenum because with the current setup, I have to run the vac all the time to keep the spoil board flat (compressing gaskets). It just seems to be a waste to run the vacs constantly.