Thread: Software, Software, Software

i-ROUT LLC DIMENSIONAL CNC ROUTING, Williamstown New Jersey

Default Software, Software, Software

Hi Guys,

Future botter here, about 2 weeks or so...doing a lot of reading these days...practicing Shopbot 3...pretty straight forward...

A couple of questions...Part wizard is for 2D, profile cutting nesting?

What is recommended...for a start up sign / 3D custom business...V carve, Carve 3D...these guys come standard with the new bot...Or should I ditch and go to Art Cam express foe 1100???

My concern is...does it make sense to learn V carve / Carve 3D and move to Art Cam...or just start out using Art Cam.

Please give feedback on these software packages talked about...curious to know what you guys think...because it always comes down to the software.

Thanks

PS...I look forward to knowing you all well...I've read posts in the past and all are so kind and forthcoming with information to help a botter out.

I'm going to need it!!!

Nick,
    I use VCarve Pro and VectorArt 3D Machinist which is free from VectorArt for toolpathing VectorArt 3D files. I haven't had a need for Cut 3D yet, but play with the trial version all the time. The new Shopbots come with PartWorks and PartWorks 3D which is VCarve Pro and Cut 3D. The only difference is that PartWorks does not have all the Post Processors for other CNC routers. Most users of VCarve Pro and Cut 3D are up and running on in no time. You can download the free version of VCarve Pro and Cut 3D at www.vectric.com to take it for a test drive. Unless you want to create your own 3D files then I would suggest sticking with the PartWorks packages. The learning curve on Artcam Express is huge compared to PartWorks. Maybe Brady can comment on it, he is THE Artcam Guru. The Vectric forum is as great as this forum for asking questions and getting answers. Stop in there and browse around. www.vectric.com/forum

I hope this helps.

Andy B.

Andy,

That was very helpful...and the path I will take...at least for now.

Thanks

We've got Artcam Insignia, and honestly, other than nesting and maybe one or two other things Vcarve Pro does all the same stuff. And usually is faster and easier, and always seems to produce better job files (in my experiance).

So in other words I agree with Andy, sitck with the Vcarve/Cut3D combo for now. If you do want to go to Artcam, I'd recommend Pro, for Express and Insignia aren't going to give you much you can't already do...

Authentic Cabinetworks LLC, minneapolis mn

Nick
    your new bot will come with partworks which is essentially v-carve pro.
    It is an incredible package and more than you need to begin with. My advise is to start with that and see where it takes you.
    LOL

Nick...
    When you order your Bot, you can have the software shipped to you at that time. Take the opportunity to learn the software while waiting for your ship date. There are many good tutorials available online, both on the Vectric site and others mentioned on the forum. You can even download limited function trial versions now. The preview funtions allow a pretty close look at the finished product.

Once you get to designing and cutting, you will be able to then tell if what you have for software is lacking in any area for your business. You may then need to purchase software that is more specialized (read expensive) for your sign business. This software may be sign design oriented or 2D/3/D CAD/CAM oriented. YOUR customers, market and ability to design and sell product will determine, in time, what direction you will need to go. In any case, you will need to get proficient in design and toolpathing what you sell. The Vectric products that ship with the Bot are awesome and far beyond entry level. I think that the most experienced users in your field will use the best of the design software, and then export to a CAM program for generation of toolpaths.

Good Luck, Gary

Gary...Awesome advice...I never thought to try and get the full version software now for learning...

So shopbot3 is the lowest level software to control the system...

Part wizard is a 2D design / postprocessor application CAM package correct? For the CAD side, the Vectric V carve and Cut 3D comes with the bot.

All four get shipped with the bot...Is this correct?

The CAD is above entry level and will do unless customer demands more flexibility.

Thanks

Nick

Nick..
    I am not 100% sure on what is shipping with the Bot at this time. A quick email to SB will confirm. One big plus not mentioned..... if it is sold by ShopBot, then it is supported by ShopBot...and now Vectric. You will learn how much that is worth.... priceless!!!

Nick,

New ShopBots ship with ShopBot3 (to control the machine) and both PartWorks and PartWorks3D, PartWizard is no longer shipped with ShopBots.
    PartWorks is a ShopBot branded full strength version of VCarve Pro and PartWorks3D is a ShopBot branded full strength version of Cut3D. If you go to the Vectric site at www.vectric.com you can read about the full feature set of these programs and download trial versions of VCarve Pro and Cut3D if you want to try them.

Brian

I run both ArtCAM Insignia and VCarve Pro. Both do some things better than the other. For startup I'd just learn the Shopbot software which is VCarve. In six months or so you'll really have a handle on whether or not you really need ArtCAM Pro. The Shopbot software that's now being released is really a very good package for most people.