Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Writing BarCode With Plotter Pen Bit

Great Discussion! Thanks for all the response.
    Ive been out of pocket and now it looks like I'm overloaded till after Christmas. Nobody want to make a decision and then they all want it done before the end of the year! I will have to table my research till next year.

Here are my conclusions to date:

Postal code looks the most promising.

I need to look at the British as it looks to be more compact. 3 different "characters" as opposed to 2 with the US.

It looks doable at a cost of about $1500 to $2000 in equipment. That at the top end but still would have a reasonable payback for me.

Henrik and I agree that the shorter the code the better. 2 Digits should be fine.

My CAM package can write the "Data" layer into shopbot code. I have already done this with all the label info I print now.

Henrik,
    I want to hear about your cleaning solution! My current cycle time for a 4X8 sheet is about 15 minutes. Of this, only about 7 minutes is actual cutting, The rest is loading, labeling, unloading, and cleaning. Cleaning is about 2 min.

My improvement plan is this: Load, Cut parts and print bar-codes on the parts. Then Use a "Sweeping Arm" with a bar and a vacuum slot ,table width, to push the parts to an "unloading table" while vacuuming the table at the same time. Cleaning and unloading in one sweep.

What are you thinking??

Bob,

Great minds, eh?

Yes, I'm also looking at 'de-snaggifying' the table, have an outfeed bar which during the evacuation sequence vacuums behind the panel, then do a full retract to the end of the table during which pressurized air helps blow the last remaining dust into the vacuum hood.

From some preliminary tests I believe the latter is necessary to perform a complete cleaning.

I am also experimenting with a pressurized air bar to clean the underside of the panel as it is loaded onto the table.

The problem, as always, is time.