Thread: Some 2008 PRS Alpha Highlights

Default Some 2008 PRS Alpha Highlights

some highlights for the past year, (what ever pics etc were on my computer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o5jNjN9dgc

I like it... Johnny Cash?

i really enjoyed that jim

Thx..
    I was going to spend some more time on it and show drawings in order with actual cabinets, but at the moment I am running 3 computers and trying to merge everything to my laptop so I only have about 1/3 of the pics I need on my laptop.

Danny,

How many of these examples were done in MDF?

In previous post you talked about your finishing technique of MDF. Using sanding sealer and a top coat finish. How is this holding up?

Would you briefly go through your finishing technique again?

I think a lot of people shy away from MDF because of the perceived finish problems and material strength in certain areas.

What part of your cabinets are you not using MDF?

I use 99.9% all MDF.

People that shy away from MDF are basically doing themselves harm IMHO.
    MDF is a wonderful product to work with. The places I do use natural wood are on the front edges of large open fixed shelves ,Ill add a piece of molding to the front then add a piece of maple behind the molding to add structural integrity to the front edge.

Oh everything in that little clip was 100% mdf.

For a looong time I was a purist and wouldnt use MDF then as I began to start working with it I found hoe easy it was to work with, no edge banding, no de-laminating no cruddy voids like cabinet grade ply.

The most common misconception is that MDF is a cheap product because of the price. Now if they were charging $75 a sheet for it everyone would use it.. Thats just how our society works.

As far as I am concerned there are NO chinks in the armor of MDF.

But finishing it is a bit different than ply goods. Not any harder just different.

Take into consideration how long it took your painters to learn to paint/stain standard ply/solid faceframe cabinetry.

There is a learning curve to painting MDF as well.

Using the same technique as ply goods will end in FAILURE lol..

The painters will curse at it and curse at it.\

To get the best results, I suggest this procedure and you will get good results and as you refine it you will get perfect results.

1. Sand all edges with 150-180g
    2. sand all edges with 200-300g
    3. primer using a laquer based sanding sealer
    4. sand whole thing with 300g
    5. add another coat of sanding sealer and another if needed.
    6. paint as usual...

By using that process you will get a bullet proof finish. Heres why...

first you are sanding to remove any machining marks, then you are "burnishing" with 200-300g.

What this means is you are using the micro dust to seal the edges as you are sanding.

Then by adding the sanding sealer you are in effect making a surfboard type of finish, the sanding sealer soaks into the pores making it one solid surface.

Alot of old cabinet makers say blah blah blah to this but most people are scared of change.

Ill put one of my cabinets up against anyones cabinet for durability/finish any day of the week.

I do 100 cabs a year +/- and have only had one call back ,it was my fault, I built a cabinet on a job and was hurrying trying to teach a new guy and I didnt leave room for my "door blocks" so I had to screw into the end grain of the mdf to install the doors, which does not hold doody.

Its a completely different finishing process so many many people get discouraged, but it really doesnt take any more time and you get a much nicer finish than ply goods.

D.Ray

Danny,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

I bought my sanding sealer at Sherwin Williams but I don't know if it is a laquer base. If you use a laquer base sealer do you have to use an oil base top coat or can you use latex?

On your example of a large open fixed shelf, I assume the shelf itself is MDF with molding and maple across the front edge to keep it from sagging. Are you using glue and brads to attach these to the edge?

The others that are having a hard time finishing MDF should try this technique to see if it works for them.

Great job Danny, I think that this is a premier prospect for an FAQ item on the main site. At a miimum this is a Tips Tricks candidate... Shopbot?

maybe somehow added to the wiki?